• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

VA Liquidation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
VA Liquidation appraisal. No interior contact details on the 1805. Before i decide what to do, i email the lender and ask for the owners phone number. Their preservation department emails back that the house is occupied at this time and that they can not grant me access, and to do a 2055.
So, i do the 2055 and document this in the report. 2 weeks later i get dinged by VA for not making three attempts for entry.
I do see their point, and i would usually have done this, but the wording of the email from the lender was such that it sounded like to not even attempt access, as it wasnt possible, and to do only exterior. In hindisight i should have emailed the VA as well
What would you have done given this same situation

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Make three attempts to gain access.

1. Contract lender for contact info

2. Check local sources for phone numbers

3. Go to property, knock on the door. If unable to gain access do as an exterior only.

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Make three attempts to gain access.

1. Contract lender for contact info

2. Check local sources for phone numbers

3. Go to property, knock on the door. If unable to gain access do as an exterior only.
And i i would add "Tape my letter on the door asking the occupant to call me and set an appointment. And take a picture of my letter taped to the door."

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
VA Liquidation appraisal. No interior contact details on the 1805. Before i decide what to do, i email the lender and ask for the owners phone number. Their preservation department emails back that the house is occupied at this time and that they can not grant me access, and to do a 2055.
So, i do the 2055 and document this in the report. 2 weeks later i get dinged by VA for not making three attempts for entry.
I do see their point, and i would usually have done this, but the wording of the email from the lender was such that it sounded like to not even attempt access, as it wasnt possible, and to do only exterior. In hindisight i should have emailed the VA as well
What would you have done given this same situation

I would have done what the VA requires. 3 attempts. Knock on the door. If no one home post a notice asking them to contact you. If no access after 3 visits then do an exterior only.

Dean

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I guess the point i was making was the that lender stated to only do an exterior after they looked into getting access. They stated that access could not be granted to me at that time. They didnt elaborate on that that, and i took it to mean dont try to do the interior. I know how VA liquidation works, i have done many, This is the first time i have had the lender say they couldnt grant access without the appraiser even trying.

Confident Rabbit

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Washington
I guess the point i was making was the that lender stated to only do an exterior after they looked into getting access. They stated that access could not be granted to me at that time. They didnt elaborate on that that, and i took it to mean dont try to do the interior. I know how VA liquidation works, i have done many, This is the first time i have had the lender say they couldnt grant access without the appraiser even trying.

We live and we learn. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." :flowers:

NOGAVA

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I've been dinged a couple of times in my first year, and it has been on a liquidation each time for different things. This last time we were told we didn't need permission to do the 2055; whereas, I thought we had to get the green light from the lender. We tried the contact multiple document times and then requested to do the 2055. Took the lender a while to get back to us with approval which put us outside of our timeliness window. I've learned to document any 3 attempts and push on thru with the 2055 no matter what.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
I've been dinged a couple of times in my first year, and it has been on a liquidation each time for different things. This last time we were told we didn't need permission to do the 2055; whereas, I thought we had to get the green light from the lender. We tried the contact multiple document times and then requested to do the 2055. Took the lender a while to get back to us with approval which put us outside of our timeliness window. I've learned to document any 3 attempts and push on thru with the 2055 no matter what.

The only time it is up to the lender is when the lender is doing a short sale and they specifically require an interior inspection. If they do not specifically require an interior inspection then VA protocol applies. I had one a year or so ago where the occupant refused permission to do an interior inspection. i did not see the notation that an interior was required. After I submitted the report the VA came back and said it was a required interior inspection. I advised that the "wife" of the veteran had refused entry. In that case I did a completely new assignment and the VA allowed me to collect an additional fee that was 1/2 the original fee. This was all during a very harsh snow storm and weather delays were involved as well. Long story short, the VA stood behind me and I was reasonably paid. And yes, I sometimes get gigged for being late when the occupant promises to let me in then changes their mind. I simply document that and respond to the letter. Sometimes I get the letter removed, sometime not.:shrug:

Oh No Not Him

Professional Status
State
Maine
I dont do "knock on door"...Hi, the bank is kicking you out of your house, wanna let me in? I dont care what VA says, thats an incident waiting to happen.....either give me a phone #, a mailing address, or have one of your preservation people check occupancy.

Jim Scholl

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
New York
I ask the lender for access info, check the internet for a phone #, knock on the door and leave a note. If it all fails I ask the VA to formally ok the exterior. They have always said yes. BTW-I take subject photos when I knock on the door then drive the potential comps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks