• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

VA Moved Manufactured Home Requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA and USDA will not buy or insure mortgages for manufactured homes that are not on their original site.

What is VA's requirement regarding a manufactured home that has been moved more than once? Would like a link to their actual guideline. I need to print out that specific guideline for a loan officer that says it is okay.

Thank you!

1963Christopher

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Texas
VALHB, Ch. 14.04 may be applicable:

Additional Inspections for Used Manufactured Homes

In cases involving a used manufactured home moved to the purchaser’s lot to be affixed to a permanent foundation, all of the following additional manufactured home inspection reports are required to ensure the safety of the dwelling:

· Water-Plumbing Systems Inspection Report, VA Form 26-8731a

· Electrical Systems Inspection Report, VA Form 26-8731b

· Fuel and Heating Systems Inspection Report, VA Form 26-8731c, and

· certification that the roof was coated after set-up on the site.

These reports must be completed by qualified third-party inspectors, for example, experienced plumbers, electricians, heating and air-conditioning contractors and manufactured home service personnel, following the installation and setup of the manufactured home on the lot. The roof coating certification can be made by the lender.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Thank you! That doesn't surprise me that VA will accept a moved manufactured home. I also understand that they will finance a mobile home built prior to the adoption of the HUD building code that went into effect 06/15/1976. Their main concern is housing for the veteran, so they don't get hung up on the details some times that FHA, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac worry about.

1963Christopher

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Texas
Not to be nitpicky, but... The VA doesn't finance anything, they guaranty a portion of the overall loan amount post-closing by the mortgage lender. Also, they never refer to the residence as a 'mobile home' as the wheels, axles, and tongue are required to have been removed, it's sitting on a permanent, approved foundation, and [ultimately] titled as real estate.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Yes, I understand the guaranty process for VA loans. The situation with the wheels, axles and tongue has nothing to do with whether the home is a mobile home or a manufactured home. Manufactured homes have been constructed to the HUD building code since 06/15/1976. Mobile homes have not been constructed since that date. Construction prior to that date may or may not have been to a volunteer building code for mobile homes, compliance with that code was not required by any body. The HUD code is nationwide and has been amended several times since 1976 and is required by FHA, USDA, Fannie and Freddie. So the term manufactured home indicates compliance with the HUD building code. The term mobile home indicates that it was constructed prior to 06/15/1976, a voluntary building code may or may not have been followed in the factory during construction.

But as I said earlier, the VA's concern is housing for veterans, not building codes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks