• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

VA Significant Appraisal Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOGAVA

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
Has anyone had experience acknowledging significant appraisal assistance in the certification on a VA appraisal? Be it a licensed or unlicensed individual.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I had one last year where I had to get assistance from a CG to help me with the H&BU analysis. I ended up not completing the appraisal report after the H&BU analysis was sent to the Lender. I would have had to disclose the assistance of the CG in the appraisal report I I would have finished it.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Almost any appraisal requires disclosure if the appraiser received Significant Assistance ) but in my opinion the person who assisted could be a licensed appraiser or a non-licensed person - IE Engineer-Surveyor and In your case it would not necessarily have to be a CG for Highest and Best Use it could have been a developer-city planner anyone who has development experience and understood zoning- land use and what could be rebuilt if the structure was damaged by fire-earthquake etc.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Almost any appraisal requires disclosure if the appraiser received Significant Assistance ) but in my opinion the person who assisted could be a licensed appraiser or a non-licensed person - IE Engineer-Surveyor and In your case it would not necessarily have to be a CG for Highest and Best Use it could have been a developer-city planner anyone who has development experience and understood zoning- land use and what could be rebuilt if the structure was damaged by fire-earthquake etc.

In the case I mentioned, it was necessary for a CG to help me with the H&BU. I won't go into the details as it is long and I just want to forget about it.

NOGAVA

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
My question comes more from a work flow aspect rather than gaining competency. Wasn't sure if this would be a red flag if the same individual is cited in the certification on a regular basis. No one else would be signing the report.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
My question comes more from a work flow aspect rather than gaining competency. Wasn't sure if this would be a red flag if the same individual is cited in the certification on a regular basis. No one else would be signing the report.

I suggest you inquier f your RLC. VA expects the appraiser to do the appraisal, all of it. They may, under some circumstances, allow an assist from someone else if the appraiser has some sort of physical limitations. Best bet, ask VA.

Dean

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
What would they be doing?. I have an assistant who types all of my reports. I dont believe this is what "Significant assistance" is referring to.

NOGAVA

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
In short, making an effort to garner hours for their experience log. This would be a learning opportunity for someone looking to contribute to the process and gain a few loggable hours along the way. The only signature on the report is the VA approved appraiser that will be performing every aspect of the appraisal in tandem with a trainee.

The sample Experience Log provided by the GA RE Appraiser's Board breaks down 10 different aspects of the appraisal process and contribution is only denoted as yes or no for these areas. The Supervisor must indicate whether they had Primary Responsibility, Co-Appraised, or Reviewed & Approved. But nowhere can I find that there must be two signatures on the report for a trainee to claim the hours.

However, it would be a moot point if the VA frowns on the practice of regularly citing 'significant assistance' by a trainee for certain aspects of the report.

NOGAVA

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
And yes, probably a more appropriate question for the Atlanta RLC.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Did the person(s) provide information or assistance that helped you make your determination of value? That is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks