• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Venting.Property Surveys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boonders

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Iowa
Surveying some apartment property owners in a suburb of my fine city (Des Moines), just had a lady say "I don't owe you anything, why should I tell you anything...that's personal confidential information"

I was asking if she had any vacant units...what she was asking for the 1 vacant unit (this is where it went south)...didn't get any more questions in.

Do you guys have anything convincing to tell people when they freak out like this? I said it was the best way we could collect data...that most investors are generally willing and understand its a part of job...she wasn't having any of it.

so, any suggestions?

I've read the AIs BS on establishing rapport with the owner/manager/whatever...but it hasn't gotten me very far.

(This lady was from california...I think that was part of the problem :rof: )

PL1957

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Offer to send her a copy of your tabulated results. It makes you seem like an expert and garners good will. Everyone wants to know what their competition is doing.

JT1974

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
The only apartment complexes where I've had luck telling the manager that I'm an appraiser are the very large professionally managed ones. Usually, if they have a smart manager, they will ask you about vacancy and rent concessions at their competing properties and will give you their insight into the market.

However, managers at smaller complexes are generally more "suspicious" and try to evade questions about vacancy rates and rent concessions. I've found the best way to get the info is just to LIE to them and tell them you're looking to rent an apartment. If they think you're a prospective tenant, they will give you the full blown sales pitch.

Boonders

Professional Status
State
Iowa
The giving them a copy of the survey worked for one guy during this survey...never got the chance with her.

oh yeah...she'll get the call tomorrow from a co-worker looking for an apartment unit...

I'm doing this for my demo report for the AI, telling people i'm not making any money on the deal has been a surprisingly good enticement for them to participate...one guy gave me the vacancy, but wouldn't give me his rent because "he wasn't going to do it all for me, he wanted me to have to do some work"...:rof: cause i'm not working hunting him down and pestering him.

Last edited:

JT1974

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Good luck with your demo report. I'm gathering data right now and figure I'll have a subject property picked out next month. I'm planning on a small single-tenant industrial building (10,000 to 20,000 SF).

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Offer to send a $20 WalMart Card.

I just completed an AI class and the last session was regarding data sources. The class material provided some useful items but the class discussion and the instructor's participation resulted in pages and pages of links and that alone was worth the price of admission.

Maybe I could make a list and email to anyone interested. You'd have to send me a WalMart card though.:)

Scott Lanz

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I will send you a wal-mart card for that link list. Unless you want cash, I will sent that as well.

Scott J. Lanz

Jason,

I am working the Demo also, my market is small, so I am really struggling with a data set.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Here are some that were discussed.

www.realfacts.org
www.reis.com
www.geocomm.com
www.edd.ca.gov
www.californiaretailsurvey.netfirms.com
www.rand.com
www.uli.org
www.census.gov
www.abag.org
www.sbponline.com
www.fedstats.gov
www.icsc.com
www.demographics.com
www.economy.com
www.irs.gov
www.bls.gov
www.bea.gov
www.bizstats.com
www.bizminer.com
www.extendthereach.com
www.realtyrates.com (unreliable)
www.realcapitalanalytics.com
www.pwc.com
www.map.live.com
www.loopnet.com

There is also STDB (the Site To Do Business) Created and sponsored by the CCIM Institute. You can link to it through the AI

Last edited:

Scott Lanz

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I have been using the STDB for awhile now, love it, and thanks for the links.

Scott J. Lanz

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Found a typo.

Should be

www.californiaretailsurvey.netfirms.com

not netforums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks