• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Very small kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trebor

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oklahoma
Serveral times I have inspected properties that have been added on with converted garages, new additions, etc. This results in a much bigger home, but the kitchen and bath, which were fine for the original SF, is not adequate for the larger SQ. The comps with similar SF were originally built with adaquate kitchens and baths. How do you all handle this?

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
It's a form of functional obsolesence. You could develop an adjustment based on cost to cure, capitalization of rent los attributable to the condition and comparison of the sales prices of similar properties in the market.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
If the comps and houses offered for sale with similar sq footage and utility tend to have larger kitchens, I would say that the market shows a definite preference for larger kitchens and therefore, your subject, with a smaller kitchen that was originally designed for a smaller house, could reasonably be considered to suffer from some functional obsolescence. How much is another story. If there are any sales you can figure out what the markets reaction was, if any, to the smaller kitchen. If there are no similar known sales then you will have to rely on "the appraisers best estimate" as to how the market would react. This is where geographic competence comes in because in one market, there may be little or no reaction while in another market area, kitchens may be very important and have a significant effect on value.

One word of caution. Do not make the mistake of assuming that a "small" kitchen is worse than a "large" kitchen. Look at the work triangle, the counter space, the convenience of appliances, water, outlets, etc. Sometimes a small kitchen is much more workable and user friendly than one that has a large expanse of space. Again, this is where experience comes in. Any questions about workability, run it by your wife or girlfriend (but not both) as to what the functionality of this smaller kitchen is. The ladies generally have a good feel for this issue.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I think kitchens have become more of a "man" issue and many men like to consider themselves gourmet-TV-chefs and the kitchen is a focal point of the house.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I think kitchens have become more of a "man" issue and many men like to consider themselves gourmet-TV-chefs and the kitchen is a focal point of the house.

So you watch "Everyday Italian" and "Barefoot Contessa" also.

Trebor

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oklahoma
Thanks for the replies. Reason I asked, on one I did the other day, the house was originally about 1,200 SQ and now is over 1,800 SQ with a kitchen so small that you couldn't fry a hamburger and get a glass of water at the same time.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I detest those two shows. I like Good Eats, Ham on the Street, Unwrapped and Rachel Ray. I used to really like that Two Fat Ladies show but one of them died.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
It's a form of functional obsolesence. You could develop an adjustment based on cost to cure, capitalization of rent los attributable to the condition and comparison of the sales prices of similar properties in the market.

Agreed and it is important to consider this when choosing the comparables.

If I had an original 1,500sf house and now have turned it into a 2,800sf, how does it compare to a 2,800sf house that was originally planned to be 2,800sf? In your situation, it doesn't compare so well; my addition-house now has a different (I would say inadequate) kitchen utility vs. the house that was planned as 2,800sf (with a kitchen that is compatible with the 2,800sf configuration).

This is a very big deal in certain areas; GLA is not always the best test of similarity when searching for prospective comparables.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
So how does your market react to a small kitchen? For many people, no need exists to fry a hamburger and get a glass of water. I once purchased a very large house where the previous owner did not even know how to turn on the oven. A refrigerator, sink and microwave was all they ever used. They had their meals delivered from local restaurants, when they did not go to them. Have you noticed how much prepared food is available in the local grocery stores? For many, many people a large kitchen is a waste of space. Don't make assumptions based on personal bias, look for data in your market.

DTB

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
So how does your market react to a small kitchen? For many people, no need exists to fry a hamburger and get a glass of water. I once purchased a very large house where the previous owner did not even know how to turn on the oven. A refrigerator, sink and microwave was all they ever used. They had their meals delivered from local restaurants, when they did not go to them. Have you noticed how much prepared food is available in the local grocery stores? For many, many people a large kitchen is a waste of space. Don't make assumptions based on personal bias, look for data in your market.

Exactly, I have seen several 200K kitchen remodels where the oven(s) have never been operated. :rof: Having it, wanting it and using it are definitely 3 different animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks