• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Virus Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill S

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
I received an email from AVG that they will no longer be providing updates for their free version and that I will have to upgrade to a paid version in order to be protected.

I'm wondering if any of you are using a different program and if so, how do you like it.

Thanks

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I think you may be mistaken. AVG has released a newer version, 8.0, and they will eventually quit updating for the older 7.0's version. But if you do a search on the internet, they have a free personal version for 8.0... it's just hard to find.

CGgonnabee

Professional Status
State
Virginia
I like AVG. I have the free version but I am willing to buy it so that I can control the the virus scan schedule.

Lax1

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
All Right!!!!!!!!!!

Bill S

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Thank you all. I clicked on the link they sent me in the email and it was to purchase 8.0 I didn't see that they had a free version.

Thanks again

conwayblue

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
AVG drove me nuts. It was requiring me to restart almost every day when receiving an update and I found their popup for downloading updates to be annoying. I switched to AVAST (also free) and haven't looked back.

Last edited:

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I don't use free stuff off of the internet. You get what you pay for. I use eset smart security. You can find it at www.eset.com . It a paid subscritpion but it is good and it does not load a bunch of stuff on your computer like Norton and other virus programs does. Run that with windows defender and you should be ok.

Scott

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
AVG user here for at least 5 years! It doesn't slow down my computer and the settings allow you to control what it does. If something bothers you, you simply turn it off. Not like Norton or McAfee, which wants to take over your computer and decide what is right for you.

Free for personal use AVG is always at this URL:

http://free.grisoft.com

conwayblue

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I don't use free stuff off of the internet. You get what you pay for.

I haven't found that to be true of software at all. Firefox, Google Earth, Google Sketchup, CCleaner, Utorrent, VLC player, 7 zip, notepad++ are just a few examples of free software I use that blow many paid software alternatives out of the water.

Also AVAST and AVG are not totally free programs. Only the home versions are free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks