• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Vista Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bart nathan

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
If you buy a computer make sure its got XP.

Jason Barber

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I'll second that. I'm buying a Dell Vostro because of this exact reason. Can still get a current processor with wireless n and the whole bit.... but more importantly WINDOWS XP !!

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Heads up. MicroSoft will stop selling Windows XP on June 30, 2008.

Kimberly Korbe

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Vista does suck. I had to send my new computer back and re-order a new one with XP after spending a ridiculous amount of time with a Dell Tech from India trying to uninstall Vista and Re-install an old version I had of XP.
Luckily I got the name of a supervisor in America and he sent me a new computer.
Just so you know, they will not offer you a choice when you order so be sure you ASK for XP when you order.
Good luck

The Dog

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Once you get used to VIsta, it is actually pretty decent. Just don't use MS products, I dumped them and use Mozilla and Thunderbird. The rest runs pretty easily. Kind of like some of the Apple style features in the word processing and excell. Makes it a lot easier to use.

Main feature to beware is to make sure you have enough memory. And remember, a USB CRUZER can run as additional memory and helps alot.

Doug in NC

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Agreed. Vista was the only option when I got my new computer. System is incompatible with some of my other programs. I find that the computer occasionally shuts down and restarts itself as a result of the incompatibility issues. Unfortunately for me, my fax is on the computer and it won't start until I have logged onto my computer user. I had to get a relative to restart the system and fax while I was on vacation in December. Thanks Microsoft, you suck.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Main feature to beware is to make sure you have enough memory. And remember, a USB CRUZER can run as additional memory and helps alot.

And a decent video card as Vista uses more GPU than CPU for its display.

Dell users, I am told that if you have the purple Dell winXP disk then you can reinstall XP over Vista as long as you download the XP drivers from dell for your computer.

bfriendly

Professional Status
State
Georgia
And dummy me thought to have the new Vista software would be "Cool" when I got a new PC back in April last year.........Had to buy a new version of Adobe in order to be able to make PDF Files outside of Wintotal; I still use my wife's PC when I need it, like Licenses, fee schedules etc.

ALL KINDS of PROBLEMS with the Vista since NOTHING seemed READY for it..........UGH!

Had I known, I would most certainly have gotten one with XP, which I LOVED before!

ALSO, this Windows mail I am using is so Slow, I open it and go outside to smoke just to wait for it to open and be ready to use.:new_all_coholic:

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
People... don't throw baby computer out with Vistawater.
(a) Copy / Save all data to your backup drive
(b) Buy copy of WinXP - around $80 shipped on ebay
(c) Format drive, then install Win XP.

Metamorphic

Professional Status
State
California
Dang, I just ordered a new desktop for the wife and kids yesterday with vista. I figured its been out a year now so I should be done with the famous MS "Soylent Green" beta testing. I figured better to figure out vista on a machine I dont need for anything but print serving. I wonder if I can install a second HDD that will boot xp so I can have a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks