• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Wall Eyed Fit this Morning, Blood pressure hit and all time high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
What is the worst thing that an employee working for you has done to your appraisal business or files.

I just discovered that one of my former employee’s this past summer took my file folders that I kept GBA drawings on and other data scribbled around the folder and replaced then with nice clean folders.

Wife wanted to know why I was snort'n and grunting around the office this morning. She could hear me clear out to the barn.

Thank goodness one of the other employees salvaged the old folders from the trash can and stuck them in a box for safe keeping. What a mess that would have been proving up a work file. In some cases lots of data on those folder jackets. All I have to do is go back through the files and match them up.

You think frantic when I found all those new clean file folders this morning. It took me 30 minuets of one wall eye fit, till I found the old file folders in a file draw. Nice things can be said about cleaning up for the new year.

How many of you all file and clean up for the new year??????

What type of safe gurads do you have in place to protect your paper files????

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Ditto what Jason said, take photo of the file folder, scan all docs, keep a backup on an external drive.

TC

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
Thank goodness one of the other employees salvaged the old folders from the trash can and stuck them in a box for safe keeping. What a mess that would have been proving up a work file. In some cases lots of data on those folder jackets. All I have to do is go back through the files and match them up.

Oh, dang! That was close!

I'd be livid.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
I would be in trouble too.

Most of my stuff is digital, but I do keep my notes from the inspection and preliminary sketch on the file folder itself, along with the order and the contract provided, if any.

Not nearly as much in the hard file as there used to be, but If someone replaced the file folder, it would have about 20% less data than with the original one.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I use a pocket folder for each report. They don't slip out. I also scribble on the pocket envelope itself - thats hard to scan...cannot do it on my autofeed scanner. Scanning is very time consuming personally considering my files. So I use paper files and have digital pix, exhibits, and reports. But notes, etc. are in the paper file..

liznindy

Professional Status
State
Indiana
I had a shredding company come and take all files from zzz-2002 to shred.

Started today cleaning office shelves and such, but since my office is comprised of me, myself, and I.... I am the only one to blame if something important gets disposed of (well, until that happens; then I will, of course, blame my husband, lol).

Edward OConor

Professional Status
State
New York
For those that use a external back up drive, please remember to store it off site just in case that something happens to you primary location (eg. fire or flood etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks