• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Wanna Be A VA Appraiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bartley

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Dumb idea. Although I would probably benefit by getting some VA work, this is a bad idea. Why the hell should the borrower have a say in who does the appraisal? It's not his money! This is nothing more than an attempt to pressure appraisers on VA loans.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
While I have a problem with it in that we'll have the same problems with it as the FHA panel, from a selfish standpoint, I would at least get some VA work and it would get rid of the VA 'good ol boys' who are appraising without a license for VA (internal use, don't 'cha know).

Roger

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
We just beat this to death in the FHA/VA forum. My personal opinion is ...."ain't going to happen". Remember these loans are already at 103% to 105% of value due to "0" down and rolling the funding fee and closing costs into the loan.

Minimum experience for VA is 5 years...for FHA it is 2 years which means as soon as you are licensed you can take their test and apply. At least with FHA the borrower is required to have some money in the deal (3%).

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Roger, where do you get appraising without a license for the VA? That is blatently false! In many areas there are very few VA loans. I know of several appraisers out in eastern Colorado who only get one or two VA assignments a month. In my county we have 22 VA appraisers.

The old boys club is rapidly becomming the young boys and girls club.

liznindy

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Do you think if I apply AGAIN I will get on the list?

I meet the experience requirements.

IMHO, all appraisers who meet the requirements and VA's application requirements should be added to the list.

If VA wants to assign on a rotating basis, fine by me, but I think all qualified should be on "the panel".

Mike,

I was wondering if VA has classes for appraisers or an appraiser's manual (somewhat like the FHA manual). Is the appraisal process for VA homes similar to FHA.....must the home meet certain standards? Just wondering...

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Each region has it's own guidelines. The inspection process is exactly the same. Actually FHA is more critical due to the VC sheet requirements. The comment that VA is tougher is because the VA appraiser is free to make requirements without any lender or REALTOR pressure. There is a national manual VA Pamphlet 26-7 It is approximately 226 pages and has been updated several times. Every region is required to hold appraiser training sessions at least once a year.

Apply again. Keep following up on your application. Update your license information and E & O data (gives you an excuse to contact them every year). Phone the chief of the Valuation Section every six months just to let them know you are still very interested in doing VA appraisals. Drive to where the regional office is and ask to see the Section Chief. A face with a name is always a plus.

Veterans get a preference
Women get a preference
Black women veterans will probably get on quicker than anyone else because of VA's quota requirements under affirmative action.

I can assure you if they do away with the panel completely there will be no advantage to doing VA appraisals. The work load will be spread so thin it won't be worth while to jump through all the hoops they require of their appraisers. Additionally, every appraisal will have to be reviewed by the VA which will necessitate hiring more government workers at additional public expense.

Lender select will direct the assignments to a limited number of "pet" appraisers as dictated by the lenders....those who they can control. Values will be inflated, foreclosure rates will sky rocket and the whole program will eventually collapse. It will result in the loss of special consideration for veterans. In my opinion, this is exactly what the lenders want.. No government loans, no inspections, no appraisals, no oversite. Then they can raise rates, charge ridiculous fees, and ultimately eliminate private ownership of real estate. In another words....control the world! Isn't the objective of the money powers?

Ask any loan officer you know. They will tell you. NO government interference, regulation, or programs!

Bob Burnitt

Freshman Member
What I hate about VA, among other things, is the the fees. In Texas, they pay $325 for a complete summary report, take it or leave it.

You can only get some county like Hamilton or Comanche (very rural, you will have to drive 150 - 250 round trip miles just to inspect the property), so screw it. You may have to drive 300 - 350 miles total to perform a $325 appraisal. Driving a truck pays better than that. I wouldn't mind doing them out in exurbia - if, and only if - I could charge for the TRUE degree off difficulty - and charge a fee that reflects the investment of time and wear and tear.

The only good thing is the lack of interference from the buzzards of the real estate business.

In an urban area, being approved for VA would be great. Trouble is, you have to wait for an approved appraiser to die before you MIGHT get there.

Another example of too many appraisers.

BB

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I think in my area a VA appraiser has to assume room temperature before another is allowed any work.... :unsure:

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Its who you know and alotta luck to get on the VA panel in TX. I don't think opening the VA panel will help. Look how it ruined the FHA roster. I hear of many appraisers that just don't require repairs because their lender tells them they can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks