• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Warning about Lap-Band surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
You've all see the ads about how safe and effective Lap-band surgery is. They're hiding a lot of things.

First, the ads say that there's few side effects and few problems. There's few reported problems because doctors have to code the problems as such things as "esophegus obstructions" and the like as the insurance companies won't treat a redo of the original surgery as a problem.

Second, reflux, bleeding ulcers of the esophegus, etc is a problem.

Third, eating is ALWAYS uncomfortable and, often, painful.

Fourth, my son, which has had this surgery, was flying back home on an airplane. The band began swelling as a result of the lower pressure in the cabin. If he hadn't had a reduction in fluid before the trip, it could have closed completely causing significant health problems, possibly fatal.

I'm not saying that everyone will have all these problems, but I've seen enough to know that this is not the "easy" surgery that it is made out to be. As they used to say on TV, "Be careful out there people".

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
I'm pretty lazy, and if I ever needed to get rid of fat, I'd consider the surgery. Of course, 2/100 people die, right?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Ask the doctor to do it for free to see if it works.:icon_idea:

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
A Doctor I just met? I don't think that'd work Rex. Unless you're being "funny", then I guess I'll just ignore you.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
A Doctor I just met? I don't think that'd work Rex. Unless you're being "funny", then I guess I'll just ignore you.

I think he was suggesting building up a long term relationship first. Then, have him do it for free.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I think he was suggesting building up a long term relationship first. Then, have him do it for free.
Now that, that sounds like a plan. Now if only I could travel back in time, have him be the doctor that helps with my birthing, my pediatrician, my primary care, etc.... Now if I approached him and said can you do me a favor? Maybe...just maybe. Thanks for the suggestion though. I love the kindness and support I get around here, it's great!

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Don't forget the most important part, we provide these services free.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
So true Rex. You're a Gentleman and a Scholar - FOR FREE! Amazing really. And the Gentleman part outweighs the Scholarly segment of your being. It's not just the immense knowledge you possess but the kind manner in which you spread it. The way you always present this information in such a nice way, always being sure to protect the feelings of the person you're educating. You never, ever, ever belittle or somehow make the recipient of your intelligence feel bad about asking, or even worse never want to ask again. It's that skill, that skill of humility and compassion, that skill of being the "good" guy, of being the "nice one" that skill... that skill is truly impressive. Again, I thank you, not only for me, but for everyone you've helped in such a grand yet humble manner. Thanks!

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
So true Rex. You're a Gentleman and a Scholar - FOR FREE! Amazing really. And the Gentleman part outweighs the Scholarly segment of your being. It's not just the immense knowledge you possess but the kind manner in which you spread it. The way you always present this information in such a nice way, always being sure to protect the feelings of the person you're educating. You never, ever, ever belittle or somehow make the recipient of your intelligence feel bad about asking, or even worse never want to ask again. It's that skill, that skill of humility and compassion, that skill of being the "good" guy, of being the "nice one" that skill... that skill is truly impressive. Again, I thank you, not only for me, but for everyone you've helped in such a grand yet humble manner. Thanks!

So you now advocate humility and compassion for all those “jerk” appraisers who are “scumbags” and ruined this once great profession, or should Mr. Rex continue to go after those?

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Miss, you think I'm a jerk scumbag that ruined this once great profession? Go ahead and say so then. I won't respond any longer in this thread, as I'm afraid I already ruined the intent of it by responding to off topic attacks against me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks