• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Watch out for Deer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I think it's Deer season in the Angles National Forest.
At least I hope that's what the guy with long guns are doing, heading back into the mountains on foot.
I only see deer occasionally, and they have always been on the small side.
Not too many of the forest rats here.

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Speaking of revenge...:)

Several years ago, a cyclist in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park was killed by a deer which jumped over a roadside fence. Some attributed it to revenge by ‎O. virginianus for the slaughter by humans of innocent cloven-hooved family members.

Mark K

Professional Status
State
Indiana
But there is a very large deer population this year, and acorn and nuts are plentiful because of the long rainy season this year, so the deer are larger.

But the deer are also darker in color, and the wooley bear caterpillars are saying, lay in some extra firewood, it's gonna be a cold long winter.

Reminds me of a joke...

"It was October and the Indians on a remote reservation asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a chief in a modern society he had never been taught the old secrets of weather prediction. When he looked at the sky he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect extra firewood to be prepared.

But being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"

"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later he called the National Weather Service again. "Does It still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?"

"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter."

The diligent Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later the Chief called the National Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man replied. "It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters ever."

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy."

KHS445

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Michigan
1573388727839.png

This was taken off my back deck in early September. It is a small area I leave overgrown on purpose with some dune grass and wild raspberries. I walked out the sliding door to the edge of the deck and took this picture. He is at the walkout basement level and about 8' from the house. Didn't seem to bother him as he continued to prune the raspberries for a few more minutes before wondering off. Also had several does, two with single fawns and one with twins bed down a few hours on most days in the summer.

norapp

Professional Status
State
New York
Since moving from LI in 2013 to the Adirondacks I hear my friends on LI see deer way more than I do. A lot more woods up here. The deer have moved to the suburbs. When I moved to LI in 1968 (Farmingville) my dad said there were no deer left on LI. Apparently there were a few out on the east end and now they are everywhere in Suffolk County heading west.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
View attachment 42365

This was taken off my back deck in early September. It is a small area I leave overgrown on purpose with some dune grass and wild raspberries. I walked out the sliding door to the edge of the deck and took this picture. He is at the walkout basement level and about 8' from the house. Didn't seem to bother him as he continued to prune the raspberries for a few more minutes before wondering off. Also had several does, two with single fawns and one with twins bed down a few hours on most days in the summer.
I guess I'll never be a hunter. No way I could shoot that, except with a camera. :peace:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks