• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

watch out for that snake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam strahan

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
this is a true story that happened to me sometime around September of last year. first i will tell you i live in rattlesnake country. i know 3 people who have been bitten. i always look for rattlesnakes because i have seen many times. this particular day i was out with my sponsor appraising a farm house in the middle of nowhere. (fifty miles from the nearest town to be exact) before we got out of his truck i said keep an eye out for snakes the wind is blowing. you see when the wind is blowing sometimes it blows the tall grass so hard you cant hear a rattlesnake. he acknowledged so we began measuring. right as we were taking the first measurement i felt something roll under my foot. i looked down and discovered i stepped on and pissed off a huge rattlesnake now coiled up between my feet. damn what to do now. i carry a pistol, but a lot of good that would do right between my feet. before i could think my sponsor had its head pinned down with a big stick. we did finish that day but slowly. sam west texas

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Sam,

Better you than me. I guess that snake in the grass saying is true.
I almost went on a rattlesnake hunt in west TX (near SanAngelo) back in 1967 when I was in Air Force. Parents showed up in Dallas that weekend, so I missed the hunt. Can't say I really missed missing it tho.)erry

Terry

Mike Simpson

Wow!

Rattlesnakes suck!!! You're lucky you weren't bitten.

I've been bitten twice by Black Widows. Very unpleasant, but paling in comparison to a Rattlesnake--the very word makes my skin crawl...I've killed three of them do date (I now live in the Pacific Northwest where they're practically nonexistent).

I once insulated a crawl space with a friend who happened to find a skunk's toilet quite by accident. Boy he stunk of skunk (tee hee). The little feller decided to come home while we were still working!!! Do you know what it's like to be lying on your side with the inability to stand--with a hopping mad little stripped smelly mammal hell-bent on chewing your nose off...after he sprays you.

He moved to one side of the crawl and my partner and I nearly ran (crawled) each other over trying to get out of there!

I hate poisonous snakes...they just won't listen to reason.

-Mike

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
In my area, I keep a look out for Timber Rattlers. They have a wee bit more attitude.

:idea: I never could figure how I see so many stories about people gettin bitten by the coral snake, the sucker is not a viper. :? You have got to stick you finger in its' mouth, or something equally as smart :roll: , to receive a fatal bite. 8)

sam strahan

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
every year sweetwater texas has a rattlesnake roundup. they kill hundreds. lets just say the animal rights activists are not happy. i have killed at least 50 but all in self defense or futures if you know what i mean. i know some particular areas where i ride my mountainbike on a friends ranch that are infested. obviously there is a den nearby. one day we killed 3 with rocks and sticks, since it wouldnt be too smart to carry a pistol while riding that rugged terrain. needless to say i got spooked that day.

Linda M Lynch

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I recently appraised a property here in Wisconsin that I had to access through the well known long, winding country lane. In any event, I finally arrived, parked, and exited my car. I took a couple of steps and heard a dog howl getting rapidly closer. I just had time to think; "boy that dog howls just like a wolf" when around the corner of the house appeared a very large wolf. Man, I didn't think I could still move as fast as I did getting back in my car. With wolf snarling outside, I laid on my horn until the home owner appeared. She laughed, called the wolf to her, and said, "My wolves act as my doorbell." I asked her to please put her "doorbell" where he wasn't free to attack me. She did finally pen him up with the other 2 wolves she has. The thing that got me the most though was that she has 2 little tiny girls toddling around. I asked her if she wasn't afraid that the wolves might turn on the girls. She said that a lot of people warned her about that but "she had the wolves first." The people you meet when you don't have a gun!

larryhaskell

Professional Status
State
Nevada
Where did you find a new pair of pants and underwear 50 miles from the nearest town?

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Snake country here too...many of our newer subdivisions are built in the snakes home territory. Once killed a small rattler in the back yard of some friends during a back yard party. The people were all upset, thought it would have made a nice pet for their son.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I've had to deal with copperheads and alligators but not rattlers, yet. The biggest snakes I have had to deal with walk on two feet. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks