• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Water Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

norapp

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
I am a NY appraiser and have a client wanting the following:
Water Heater- Appraisal report should be completed “as is” with commentary indication if the water heater is braced, anchored, or strapped. Include photo of water heater.
I know in California this is normal and required due to earthquakes but I'm not sure exactly what these things are. I told AMC this is not a requirement in NY but guess what? They don't care.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Health and safety issue. Check your local and state codes for compliance requirements. Then quote the code and whether the water heater meets code requirements.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
So, you make up a separate skeleton for this client, or a push-the-right-button comment, that says something like:

Subject does not have its water heater strapped, anchored, or braced. The reader should note that strapped, anchored, or braced water heaters are not a requirement of local, county or state governments, and, it is unusual for any water heaters in this area to be strapped, anchored, or braced.
.​

norapp

Professional Status
State
New York
Health and safety issue. Check your local and state codes for compliance requirements. Then quote the code and whether the water heater meets code requirements.
What exactly is strapped, anchored, braced? What is it supposed to be attached to and with what?

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Strapped water heaters are not required in the counties that I cover. I have had to include a quote from the State Building Codes for some of my idiotic clients.

Oregon Plumbing Specialty Code (OPSC), Section 507.2 & Oregon Residential Specialty Code (ORSC), Section P2810.5
Water heaters installed in buildings within the scope of the 2005 Oregon Residential Specialty Code are required to be strapped in all counties in the state except the following:
Wasco, Jefferson, Deschutes, Crook, Sherman, Wheeler, Gilliam, Morrow, Grant, Harney, Umatilla, Union, Baker, Malheur and Wallowa.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
We had that once, responded that in Texas (where we were) the only strapped hot water heaters were in manufactured homes, not required in homes. They went away.

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Another example of clients trying to turn appraisers into building inspectors. what does this have to do with the value of the real estate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks