• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Water Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Darland

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Kentucky
OK, I did a search and cant see that anyone has brought this topic up, so I throw this question out to the masses---the lot behind the subject has a town water tower located there. It probably has been there for years and according to the owner, the city has decided to tear it down at some point in the future (they already have another one built). In my estimation, if it was to fall, the subject would be within the fall range. However, I didnt see anything in 4150.2 regarding water towers, just the reference regarding high explosive materials. Has anyone dealt with this issue before?? I appreciate any and all advice.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Winter a year ago, we had a hard freeze. For some reason, the water tower in a nearby town overflowed through the vent pipe. The water sprayed out and onto the roof of the house on the lot next to the water tower. The water continued to flow, and created a miniature glacier that crushed the roof of the house.

The bottom line is that these can be a hazard. I would comment at least and let the UW make the decision.

Roger

Wally Jones

Professional Status
State
Florida
Call your HOC and see what they say. I don't know about town water towers, but the large capacity transmission line towers have what is referred to as "engineered" fall distance. These things are built to fall inward and collapse upon themselves, so the damage radius is theoretically not as large as most folks think. Still, seems like a water tower has some potential for being hazardous to a property's health!

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
I'd get in touch with the HUD REAC Center (888) 245-4860. They are kind of monkeys there, but they can give you an answer. My opinion is- I'd condition for it and let the underwriter waive it if they want to, but I'd leave it as a health and safety hazard.

Kevin Darland

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Kentucky
Well, I called the help desk this morning and all the tech people are in training today, so I will have to call them tomorrow for their guidance... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replys, sometimes, I forget what a resource you guys all are and that I'm not just out here in the jungle by myself...

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I disagree. What was built first...the house or the water tower? In either event the powers to be would not have allowed it to be built if it represented a more than normal hazard. I would just comment on the presense of the tower and that it "might be coming down at some time in the future". We cannont protect the world against everything.

How about Radon, UFFI, subterrianan water, mineral right mining, flights over the property, and satelites falling from space???? The newest is potential terrorist attacks...what if................

Patrick Egger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
all have good points ... Mike points out what is so often overlooked by field appraisers ... the intent of the VC sheet is to ID potential hazards that impact the 3 S's ... and the tower fall line distance is not because they are concerened of the tower hitting the house ... its the high voltage lines supported by the tower.

think about it ... normal power poles at the property line, street light poles, etc are within the fall distance ... are corner lots unsafe do to the potential of wayward cars taking the corner too fast? ... how about aircraft falling from the sky for properties near an airport ...

like Mike said ... point out that its there ... unless you can prove a marketability issue.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Don't get too picky.....What if the sky would fall! Mention it in the report, period.

Directly across the street from my house was a historic water tower....quiet and well maintained as can be, and a landmark in this small community. At it's feet is the oldest building in the town, a decorative utility building with emblems and seals etched in the concrete. They disassembled the water tower in April. I sure miss it! Houses had sold all around me and the water tower's presence didn't have an effect on the market. I previously noted my office's location, as "across from the water tower". Now, it's "where the water tower once was"... :(

2nd Point: I live next door to a Church, which in itself, had diminished the value of my property. Thank goodness they disbanded because the noise would even penetrate my plaster walls. Their guitars and drums practiced every night until 11 p.m. (noise ordinance). Of course if I had an appraisal performed, the appraiser wouldn't know. Churches aren't always nice neighbors.

Do any of you make adjustments, + or - for churches?
The water tower COULD fall or leak.
The Church COULD be a real hinderence.

In conclusion: What about the freestanding T.V. towers in various backyards? or the small ones that run up the side of a house? What about all the tall telephone poles that run up and down my street? What about the power lines...we have no underground electric. All typical here, along with the water tower. (Church is something else, I've found)

What if, what if, what if ....... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks