• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Wayne or other technos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Russell

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Montana
Have you ever tried to defrag a large hard drive (80gig) with any success?
The single time I tried end in an entire system reload. The defrag program analyzes the drive and advises on whether to defrag or not to defrag. The one time I tried it said this drive should be defragmented so I proceeded and the system froze after about ten minutes. And like I said earlier it was dead there was no XP no more. I went back to 98 and built off of it and worst of all I lost my restore points. Oh, woe is me!

When I was finally able to restore all my files manually I ended up with duplicates of duplicate user directories.
Anyway, these drives are so huge that my documents and settings seem to end up in four different user directories.

Is there any safe way to clean this up, (I know defrag is not for this purpose), I have tried manually but with user files they do not go away.

I am thinking of just one user, the default (Windows). Does this make any sense? (I.m using a P4 2.0ghz, 1024m, 80gb). And a 19.2kps modem. sad

Terry

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Terry,

Sounds like you have a mess.

With the Win Defrag (any version) you should be able to pause, stop, or exit the defrag program without problems. I am thinking that something conflicted with the defrag program when you were running it.

When I defrag I make sure I close everything else. Close anti-virus, firewall, get off line, just close everything except the defrag progam! Then I do a cntrl-Alt-delete to bring up the task manager and make sure there are no other background programs running that I forgot about. IF so, I close them also. Then I let defrag run to completion. However there have been times I needed to pause it, or even stop it, and I have done so with no problems.

Are you sure it deleted your operating system? I have never heard of defrag doing that, it is hard to understand. I could see how it might mess one file (the one it was moving) if it froze up but the whole operating system?

Since you have already reloaded an old operating system and also reloaded old files manually you probably will not be able to get to the point you were before.

I really don't know what to tell you to do at this point.

I hope you have a recent back up of your entire system. It sounds like your computer is pretty new, and most now come with a restore disk and you can put it back to the point where it come from the factory. Then you can restore your data files from your back up.

Em Tee

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Reading Terry's post reminds me of a question for you Wayne. I have a fairly new computer with WIN XP and I want to backup my appraisal files. What's the best way? I don't have a CD writer - am I going to have to use lots of disks? And how often should I do a backup? I've always left this to others in the past, but now need to start taking care of it myself.

Thanks!!!

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Mary,

I back up my important files to an external hard drive connected to my computer via a USB port.

I am sure there are others that have good backup systems, but that works well for me. It is fairly fast, you can use the external hard drive over and over, plus you can even use it as one of your drives if you run out of space.

They are pretty cheap now, and if you have the new USB 2 port you can get a drive that is USB 2 compatable, and along with a USB 2 cable you will be able to backup pretty swiftly! You don't need that large a drive if you only back up your data files.

I don't back up my whole system, just my data files. In my case that is everything I have on line for my websites, plus those files in the "my documents" folder and subfolders in your case it would be your appraisal files.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
I like the msconfig dance myself. Go to run, type in msconfig, click on the start up tab, remove all check marks. Reboot the computer. Very similar to doing the ctrl-alt-delete steps, but it does it once and for all. If you decide you just have to have a program running, go to run, type in msconfig, put a check mark in front of the program to you running all the time and see the name of the program on your tool bar. The check marks by all the programs open all the doors and windows in the house (computer) while the 40 degrees below zero weather is going on outside and making your furnace run constantly trying to keep the temperture at 90 degrees. (at least that is how I picture it in my feeble brain)

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I run scandisk first, then defrag and have never had a problem. Scary what you describe.

I usually defrag about every 3 mo.

I have two hard drives in my appraisal computer. I also use Zip drives. Zips are OK, guaranteed for 5 years, but CD or external Hard Drive is way to go. Holds more info. My back up HD came out of my old lightning zapped computer (burnt a hole thru the mother...board) Compressed it is about 8 mg. I have a file under the root directory called NEEDSAVED, I dump reports in there. Then purge them to the backup hard drive about once a month under directories that breaks them up by type and year (FARM, COMMERCIAL, LAND, RESIDENCE, and URAR) [residence is narrative & URAR is forms] My file names match my Job #. At the end of year I zap them to zip drives, and keep them until my disk gets pretty full, purging the oldest first.

Terry Russell

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Montana
I suppose I was not clear enough in my previous post.

The defrag episode occurred about 3 weeks ago, everything is just peachy now.
And on top of all that while trying to explain my multiple user directories that seem to clone themselves, I walked myself thru the solution.
Funny how that happens sometimes, you are explaining a proplem to someone and you figure out the answer in the process and the poor someone whose feedback you wanted makes a suggestion and you snap at em, ""NO! that's not it. I know what's wrong!""

Thanks for the input all. Later. Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks