• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Well, How Many Coastal Appraisers Are Getting Inspection Calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Seems time to raise rates (modestly since gouging in a disaster usually is against the law) or charging extra for mileage to inspect wind and water damage to recently financed homes. What would you say about a roof that just went thru a heavy wind and rain if you can't do an interior inspection?

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
Did a few after the last Hurricane here and actually had one report go thru, I think 15 (the alphabet guys N gals) reviewers who were attempting to find a reasoning to argue the value. As usual, to many cooks spoil the stew.

I did the report in accordance to the records reviewed (there was some fun stuff in there); current zoning (even more fun) specifics and not one could develop an argument, they just were having a hard time swallowing all the loot they Lost and the future Cost of becoming Code Compliant. Got a great fee for that one. Probably the most fun I've had in the past 10 year cycle.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I am so very, very happy and grateful that we got spared the storm and I don't have to do them,
The problem can be getting around if road conditions are bad, street signs down, very hard to find the right street and or house. I did not have a ton to do after the last storm,
insurance adjusters are the busy people. I remember the ones I did do were observable property condition report. Later on some value drive by reports on houses I had appraised recently. Good luck if you have to do them, price gouging is a no no,
but if road conditions are bad or working conditions difficult, can charge to compensate for that. After bad storms here power is often out for weeks so can't get a report in anyway.

If a roof was still standing after heavy wind/rain with no observable damage I'd mark it that no damage visible, but an inspection recommended . Are you walking around entire house to see roof or just driving the front of houset

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
very happy and grateful that we got spared
Us too... and your horse is probably even happier... You can carry the cat in your lap... much harder to get a horse into a motel room :)

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I've got a few requests after Hermine and turned every one down. The fee offered barely covers gas and time. I got better things to do.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
We got one, but we are on the west coast, told the company we didn't get any damage over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks