• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Well Within 10' Of Road/property Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-man

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
I have a subject property in a semi-resort area near a lake with a well located within 10 feet or less of the property line and road. I just took an FHA class where the instructor said this is unacceptable to HUD. There is no public water available, by the way. I left my 4150.2 handbook at the office and want some verification on this topic before I type up the report. Any thoughts?
And as an added bonus, this 900+- Sq. Ft. house has just two electric space heaters :rolleyes: . That alone may kill this deal :sniper: Best part is the subject is an easy 90 miles from my home, so re-inspects would be a pain in the tushy. Thanks for any insights.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
You can access the 4150.2 and the HOC National Reference Guide on the internet. Go to http://www.HUD.gov Look for appraisers on the right, then click on the HOC National Reference Guide, 1-21 covers private wells. First a word of caution--if you are not a registered land surveyor do not state or indicate how far the well is from the property line. Have a comment for example like "Well appears to be approximately 9 feet from the fence which has been accepted by the owners as the property line. A survey by a registered land surveyor would be necessary to establish the exact distance from the property line." Unless there are pins verified by a land surveyor that is the property line--nobody else knows for sure where the property line is located. A condition on VC sheet would be for the appropriate Health Authority to inspect and certify their approval of the private well and the well is in compliance with local or state health requirements.

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
Slightly off topic, but kind of on point......

This is just another reason why we as appraisers should not be responsible for a multitude of things that the FHA lending process makes us responsible for.

I don't remember anything in 4150.02 where it states a required distance from a roadway for a well, they are very specific about public water and sewer hookups, as well as distance between private well and septic systems. When in doubt, call the HUD REAC Center (888) 245-4860. They are kind of your basic monkeys on the phone, but they can at least answer your questions quickly.

I agree with Jo Ann totally, whenever in doubt about anything, throw in a VC to someone more qualified than yourself. For Example, if I see anything even slightly wrong with a roof, I condition for a full inspection. Same with well and septic distances. Unless I have a survey showing the EXACT locations and distances, I give my opinion, and call for further inspection, just like Jo Ann's comment.....

Best of luck to you......

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Forgot to mention Mortgagee Letter 2002-25 regarding private wells. You can access that on the HUD.gov website also. If local government approves of wells less than 10' from property line (remember only a registered land surveyor knows where that is) then it is acceptable to HUD.

G-man

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Thanks for the response. As for stating anything in a report outside of my field of expertise and/or experience, the word APPEARS TO BE is very prominant in my phrasing. I will look up the proper regs on the HUD website, thanks for the reminder. I'll download a copy when in the office to keep at my home. No sense in burning my ink jet printer out when the companies laser printer is sittin' doing nothing :p .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks