• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

what a nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephHigdem

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Idaho
I show up at this foreclosed house. It's down a private lane, mostly mud, mostly deserted. First thing, call the agent to confirm that it is vacant & re keyed 'cause there are a bunch of cars & stuff in the yard, stuff in the house. Oh yeah, she says, they have 2 weeks to clear the rest out. They will finish securing the place then (winterize, sticker in the window, whatnot).

OK...

So I start measuring, taking notes, taking pictures. Finish outside & go the the front door. Great, standard key doesn't work. Go back around the whole house, check every door, a couple of windows... nothing. OK, out comes the old credit card to pop the door open. Crap, that didn't work either; this is only the 2nd time I've been stumped. I'm annoyed.

So I pop into town to talk to the local agents who sold this home a few years ago. Have a nice chat, get all the gossip...

Long story short... (I know, too late!)

I was trying to break into the wrong house!!! Thank God I didn't get in! I was s'pose to be at the house across the road. ( I thought this is my subject because I had an old listing, the address matched the order, I thought no more of it. The order has xxxx B instead of xxxx D. Nice typo, thanks guys.) 99% of the time I go to the courthouse & get the public info first, but no... today I thought I would inspect first. No more breaking into foreclosures for me unless the cleaners have been there & secured the home & put the sticker in the window. (That is so painfully obvious NOW...)

Ironically, the subject was in much better shape than the first place I went to!

stefan olafson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Dakota
Consider yourself a veteran now! To attain that status one of the requirements is to measure the wrong house! You could have gotten extra credit if you would have been able to inspect the interior also.

I've done both!

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Many years ago I had one where the woman let me in, showed me through the house, I did a full inspection and thanked Mr. Jones. Too bad it was Mrs. Smith. Jones lived next door.

LA Woman

Professional Status
State
California
Ok, how many have actually done a full inspection on the wrong house?

How many times?

I've done it twice, and almost had a 3rd under my belt last month!

It's a reminder to us that A: we are human and make mistakes and 2) there are a lot of nice trusting people out there that let us in!

teh l33t

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
One time I completely measured the wrong house. Knocked on the door, no answer so I started measuring, figuring that the homeowner was on their way home. It was a nasty one too with spider webs and lots of landsacsping close to the house. (hard to measure and I hate spiders) A few minutes later a confused looking elderly woman came outside to see why I was creeping around in her flower bed. I wasn't invited inside...

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
The folks in the correct subject house probably got disgusted with their neighbors across the street and threw in the towel. There goes the neighborhood.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I was about 7 years into the biz when I went into the wrong house. Lock box listing, same RE office, wrong side of the street. As I'm walking through I'm checking things with the listing sheet, standing in the kitchen I see the owner's mail on the table, name doesn't match up, look out the front door, and there's the house I'm supposed to be in directly across the street.

It happens.

TC

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Posted this a couple of years ago. LO said it the mobile homes out on county H just south of the Dells. I say I know right where they are at. Never check the address. Got to the house told the lady I was the appraiser, she let me in, I did hers and the two others, the shop and left. When I went and pull the legals nothing matched. Wrong mobiles I want the place north about three miles you could not even see from County H. They were a mile off the road.

So far I haven't had any more.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I measured the wrong house on high-bank lake frontage. When I finished pulling the tape around, it just didn't seem like it could be correct based on the size/BR count I had. Looked again at the MLS sheet...showed the house I measured. I walked around the lot a bit more and, down the hill towards the lake frontage and, "hey" there's another house. The MLS photo was for the wrong house and the second fire number was pretty much hidden, so it appeared to be the right address.

The agent showed up about ten minutes later to let me in. Glad I was a bit early so he didn't arrive while I was measuring a neighbor's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks