• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What constitutes a kitchen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Inspected a property that has nothing in the kitchen, no cabinets, no stove, no refrigerator, not even a sink. Previous owner had renovated the entire house, decided to sell before he finished the kitchen. Prospective buyer is a bachelor and has NO problem not having a kitchen. He's already moved in and is using a microwave and a cooler. Ah, I remember living like that.

I think at the very least there needs to be a working sink in the kitchen and at least 1 cabinet. Anyone else run into this situation?

TC

Kevin Mc

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Sink is mandatory.

Inspected a property that has nothing in the kitchen, no cabinets, no stove, no refrigerator, not even a sink. Previous owner had renovated the entire house, decided to sell before he finished the kitchen. Prospective buyer is a bachelor and has NO problem not having a kitchen. He's already moved in and is using a microwave and a cooler. Ah, I remember living like that.

I think at the very least there needs to be a working sink in the kitchen and at least 1 cabinet. Anyone else run into this situation?

TC

Everything else is optional, ask my wife.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I'm assuming it's not Patty.

TC

mark macgarvey

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
TC, My only question would be if the township requires a kitchen (stove, sink etc) in order to issue a certificate of occupancy. Many municipalities do, some don't.

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Any pictures of Patty? :new_smile-l: Betcha the upper front was her compensating factor for the cooking issue. :rof:

Ok, onto more serious issues. When Lee Ann, Dee Dee and I sat in front of HUD and thier contractors for M & M, we engaged in a discussion of the minimum property requirements for a kitchen as far as FHA was concerned. For what it's worth, I think I remember a basic description of items required to safely and adequately prepare food. Stove, sink, and a minor amount of counter space. Storage (cabinets) weren't necessarily required. Technically, I suppose you could buy the roll around, open shelving or similar and get by without cabinets. Commercial kitchens do it all the time.

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
This is an interesting question. I recently appraised a property that had two "kitchens". One was a standard upscale kitchen but the second in an in law unit had a kitchen base cabinet with a sink,one upper cabinet, a dorm size refrigerator and a microwave oven, no stove. Since the accessory unit didn't require a kitchen I didn't have a problem with obsolescense but I wonder about smaler units efficencies etc without stoves.

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Walter,
In my area, that second unit's configuration was the loophole method to comply with only one dwelling on the site. The stove (per our zoning code) is what makes it a second kitchen, and therefore, a second living unit. A 'no no' on single family zoned parcels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks