• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What Do I Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
I am a trainee and what's going to happen to me???? HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE.....I GET LICENSED 1 MONTH AFTER THE PROPOSAL GOES INTO EFFECT AND THIS SUCKS.....I CAN'T GET ON AMC LISTS EVEN IF I WANTED TO BECAUSE I AM STILL A TRAINEE AND BECAUSE THE AMC's ARE NOT TAKING NEW APPRAISERS ON BOARD. I NEED TO SPEND ABOUT $1,500 MORE ON THE REMAINING CLASSES I NEED TO GET MY LICENSE. IS IT WORTH IT AT THIS POINT?

Em Tee

Professional Status
State
California
If you have a supervisor/mentor already lined up, you should be working with them on their reports and not worrying about getting your own clients.

If you don't have a supervisor lined up, I'd say you're much better off looking at another line of work. It sounds like an unfortunate case of wrong time, wrong place.

tjcou812

Professional Status
State
Connecticut
A lot of licensed and certified appraisers are in the same boat you are. As someone stated in another thread we have a four month window to see if there will be any changes. My guess there will be, but I do not no if it will better or worse. I'm sure the federal goverment will have their say and maybe some individual states will change things to and add a few lawsuits thrown into it also that may delay things. I am going to try to stick it out the next two or three months and see what may happen or change. If things get worse I'll probally will be doing something else by May.

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Answer to your question

I am a trainee and what's going to happen to me???? HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE.....I GET LICENSED 1 MONTH AFTER THE PROPOSAL GOES INTO EFFECT AND THIS SUCKS.....I CAN'T GET ON AMC LISTS EVEN IF I WANTED TO BECAUSE I AM STILL A TRAINEE AND BECAUSE THE AMC's ARE NOT TAKING NEW APPRAISERS ON BOARD. I NEED TO SPEND ABOUT $1,500 MORE ON THE REMAINING CLASSES I NEED TO GET MY LICENSE. IS IT WORTH IT AT THIS POINT?

In my opinion, it is not worth it. Why anyone would want to be a residential appraiser in today's enviornment is beyond me.

If you are a younger person, I would consider a different profession. You will be better off in the long run. You can probably make more money being a barber these days.

Peacemaker

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
I NEED TO SPEND ABOUT $1,500 MORE ON THE REMAINING CLASSES I NEED TO GET MY LICENSE. IS IT WORTH IT AT THIS POINT?

If $1,500 is enough to bother you, you probably should do something else. That's a drop in the bucket of expenses you will face as an appraiser should you continue.

FWIW you might want to consider that your timing could have been worse. I've never done much AMC work (because until recently, I had better clients) so I'm not on any of those lists either, and I have no intention of applying. With AMC fees it is not hard to find better paying work (or at least, similar paying work with no liability). So you are kissing a couple years of training goodbye, yes that sucks but you are not likely to get much sympathy from those of us who have invested years of our lives.

In my case, it's been a blessing in disguise, because I've turned my attention to another business I have always wanted to pursue.

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
IS IT WORTH IT AT THIS POINT?

It depends what your goal is. If it's to get your license as fast as possible and work for AMCs, it's not worth it. That segment is vastly oversupplied, and is likely to be so for the next couple of years. If your goal is to become a general certified appraiser doing specialty work, and have the contacts, my opinion would be different.

I personally do not work for management companies. I that was my only choice, I would not be an appraiser.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
It depends what your goal is. If it's to get your license as fast as possible and work for AMCs, it's not worth it. That segment is vastly oversupplied, and is likely to be so for the next couple of years. If your goal is to become a general certified appraiser doing specialty work, and have the contacts, my opinion would be different.

I personally do not work for management companies. I that was my only choice, I would not be an appraiser.

And that too David is a personal choice that many must face, however, if their choice is different from yours it does not mean they made the wrong choice for themselves.

Stephen A. Santini

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California

To answer your question....well....uh.....NO!

Donna Quixote

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
You also need to decide if you need to have work handed to you or if you are willing to roll up your sleeves, knock on doors, be persistant, have follow-up and perceverance. These times are tough and you need to be tougher. It is always my job to find full time work. A quote from The Last Lecture "The wall is there for a reason, it is to keep others out who do not want it as bad"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks