• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What Do U Do To Make Extra Income?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martypartie

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Illinois
Hi. I finally got out of the fee-based appraisal world! :LOL: I work for an assessor's office now. Previously, I was warned it would be soul-crushing. It isn't. I have my life back. It is great. 40 hours per week with benefits. I don't miss fee-based appraisal AT ALL.

I'm looking to make extra income but don't want to get sucked into getting crushed with deadlines etc. on top of my full-time job. I've thought about applying for evening and weekend shifts at Whole Foods, Target or Trader Joe's which would give me extra income and discounts on our grocery purchases. However, I'm sure there must be a better way to make more $ in less time. The same seems to go with UPS and FedEx.

I know a few assessor employees who do residential appraisal outside of the county in which they work. They say residential is easier to do and they can manage the load better than commercial work. One guy I know says the money is good but he hates it. He works all the time. My family is on one income right now. I have small kids and don't want to work a ton. I'd like to keep my wife at home with the kids if at all possible.

I have my certified general designation and have over 15 years experience doing complex appraisal work in big city markets. I have never done residential appraisal but figure I can get up-to-speed quickly enough. Please keep in mind, I don't like real estate appraisal at all. But I'm good at it and will do it to make the extra $. I don't need any comments on that. Some people like it. Some don't. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the following...

1 - Any good part time work ideas that will pay more than $20 - $25 per hour but aren't terribly stressful or demanding?

2 - Is doing residential appraisal a way to get the best bang for my buck? Lets say I do 2 a week. Could I earn $400 to $600 per week?

3 - I assume I'll have to get linked up with a local residential appraiser with contacts or an AMC. Any suggestions on the best way to go about doing this?

4 - What kind of expenses should I expect? Appraisal insurance, MLS subscription etc.

5 - With all my experience, are there any other ideas about making extra income that wouldn't involve appraising?

Thanks!

SpartanAG

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
You could always see if one of the local appraisal firms is looking for an independent contractor to do some side (overflow) work. Or you could try to capture some review work from local lenders or lawyers. Or what about working a niche like tax appeals? Just some ideas that might fit a part-time schedule. I'll be interested to see what you figure out.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
Any interest in officiating sports? Basketball officiating can be a year round gig with a never ending season.
I used to officiate youth basketball, baseball, and football when I was younger and single...it was a pretty good part time gig to earn a little extra spending money.

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I used to officiate youth basketball, baseball, and football when I was younger and single...it was a pretty good part time gig to earn a little extra spending money.
Just ended a 30+ year gig officiating football (primarily high school) due to a bad knee--need a total replacement. Football (other than youth leagues where you can pick up $150-$200 on a weekend day) isn't particularly lucrative and few do it for the money. I could have made considerably more working at my job longer on Fridays.

Now basketball and/or volleyball are the ticket. Basketball in one form or another is year around. Volleyball is a 3+ month season where you can work 3 or 4 days a week and pick up $200 +/-

Reactions: Eli

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Do something you think is fun and interesting even if it doesn't pay so much. That way you still have your life back. Two jobs is no better than one that takes all your time. I play in a small band and we go to local events, nursing homes and private parties (no bar gigs). I enjoy it a lot and make a little cash to boot.

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
uber
well i dont but know many that do

Reactions: Eli

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I just returned from an eminent domain class in the burgh that had about a dozen dot appraisers from across the state.

I personally asked each one do they do fee work/why/why not?

Not one answered yes. They all were happy with the 37.5 hour work week, benefits and weekends free from AMC calls and emails. I found that very interesting.....

So you want a job that pays $25 an hour, part time work, no stress/not demanding.....I don't think that exists......

EddieB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
If you're young enough, aim for a IAAO designation and advance in the mass world. May require relocation but there seems to be opportunity for growth and higher pay.

I made the switch a while back and couldn't be happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks