• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What do you use for Assessor's Parcel #

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRUNO

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Wisconsin
I see there was much discussion about Map reference and what people did What do you do with the Assessors Parcel #, What and were do you find that?

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Okay, I'll bite.

I see there was much discussion about Map reference and what people did What do you do with the Assessors Parcel #, What and were do you find that?
I use the number the assessor uses to identify parcels. I get it from the assessor's records. Do you have other suggestions? :shrug:

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado

How about calling the assessors office or checking the local assessor database or tax schedule on the internet.

CCAAMO

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California

Bruno, unlike the discussion about the map, there should only be one Assessor's Parcel Number per parcel so I'm not really sure what your confusion would be?
:shrug:

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Wisconsin, in some counties have the parcel number and that is it. In other counties they have the parcel and then a computer # that also ID the property.

I always use the tax parcel number. If more then one parcel I call the lender find out if they want all the parcels listed and appraised.

Professional Status
State
Virginia
In my area of 5 cities, some have one and some have two ways to identify a parcel. For example, in my home town, there is an account number(1004245) and a tax parcel number (43*1B*112) for every parcel in the city. If I am using the 1004 I will apply the account number.

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
Bruno,

As a trainee you will learn the different data items as you become more engaged in the total appraisal development process.

Hopefully your supervisor will guide you through more and more responsibility as your training progresses.

But you don't have to wait for that. You can start educating yourself on your own.

This web site we are on is a good place to ask questions.

Since you have asked about assessor data, that's a good place to start. Set yourself a goal of becomming expert on your local assessor's data sources. Find out if they are on line and visit their office.

Each parcel of property will have a parcel number assigned to it by the assessor. The local government will use that parcel ID number to track their business with taxes, etc.

The assessor has a lot of information we use as we develop our appraisals including the sketch they make from which they calculate the size of the buildings.

Assessor's data is fundemental to developing an appraisal on real estate.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
If you work in Wisconsin, in the rural areas, you may find depending what county you are working in will find they do not have information on line. In the area I cover there are 8 counties that you can not access information on line. So this means you will have to do a lot of leg work. Some of the township/counties the assessor does not even live in the state of Wisconsin. You will find a lot of the information is at the township level and most of these offices are not staffed full time. Maybe only a half day a week on the 10 Wedsday of the 23 month at 2 a.m. in the morning or you get there at the right day and time and you find a note on the door that Sue just had a baby boy and I am at her house today.

Many may home more then one tacking number, the assessor has a number, the county has a number or two and the township has a number or two.

The same can be said for the zoning informaiton, you may have to spend a day tacking down the township chair to find that information. Many many times you will leave messages and no one will return you call for days or weeks.

Good hunting.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
If you cannot get the assessor's tax number on line, ask your client for the name of the title company they are using and then ask them for the escrow or title order number. Call the title company and ask them for a property profile or at least the assessor's parcel number. They might have a printout they could fax or email to you. Be nice, ask for their help. A property profile is the preferred source as it will have lots of data in it that you can use.

Even a refi or home equity loan will have an open title order or escrow open.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
There are two numbers used in my area of Florida. The assesor's parcel number, before assessor offices went on line, were not as easy to obtain as the tax collector's folio number, which was always printed on the MLS. An APN in my counties looks something like this:

U-14-29-20-2LM-000003-00010.0

The U meaning "unincorporated" section of the county and it is followed by the section-township-range-neighborhood ID-block-lot.

The folio number looks like this:

The folio does not identify the location of the property physically in any way, but points to a page in an accounting ledger to find the taxes for the property and whether they are paid or past due, etc.

The folio number (or account number) is not the APN though several appraisers still use them as such. Because they were used so much in the past you sometimes still hear from the underwriter company asking you to correct an APN to the folio number so it matches with title. I refuse, and tell them title is wrong and must be corrected to match with the appraisal. The request comes less and less now that most appraisers have caught on to what the APN is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks