• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

What Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
WHAT FORMAT

GRAPHICS GURUs OF THE WORLD.

I need a little help.

My son is going to prepare a Power Point presentation for our 50th wedding A.

I am to furnish him scanned photos, some color, many B&W on a CD.

MY question is what format should I save the scanned images in.

He will NOT be trying to enhance the photos other than size and maybe some captions.

Thanks much in advance.

Backward in Arkansas-ed

Sean Braudrick

Sophomore Member
jpg (also jpeg & jpe) are the way to go... relatively small file size, just about every software package supports them.

PowerPoint can handle just about anything... definitely jpgs

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Ditto. Bitmap will be too large and slow to down load. Other formats, like for Adobe's software, may not be supported.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
JPG images can degrade with copying. Set compression at the minimum.

TIFF and BMP files are larger, but load quicker because they are not compressed. They tend to not degrade with copying. Most high resolution cameras prefer those formats.

GIF has some spotting support, and are medium between JPG in compression and uncompressed files.

Power Point or Corel Presentations will accept all of them. WORD munches most file types, but WORDPERFECT has a problem with newer .jpg files.

xm39hnu

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Terrell's statement that JPG's degrade with copying is a little misleading.

If you "Open" a JPG, then "Save as.." a JPG, you'll get the kind of degradation he's talking about. If you simply copy the file through the operating system, as in transferring a file to a CD, no degradation will occur. JPEG (Joint Photographic Expert's Group) is a lossy format. The more compression, the greater the loss. If you choose that "Save As..." to save something already compressed, it will compress the picture more, and cause further losses.

BMP (Bit-Map) is not so good. They're big, and have color problems on some systems.

TIFF (Tag Image File Format) preserves all the picture information. It is not compressed.

JPEG2000 and PNG are the two newest formats. Older software will not read these, so although they are "better" compressed formats, you should avoid them for another year or so.

What I do with family pictures is to scan and save in TIFF. Files are HUGE. CD's are cheap. When someone wants an album, I use JPG with medium to low compression, depending on whether the recipient will view the pictures on screen or will print them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks