• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What forms are you using for Divorce work?

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
I use the either the AI form or narrative format, depending on the specifics of the assignment.

Stantheman

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
Gee...that is a new format for me :)

The right answer is none. I don't do divorce. Hairshirt job, court for free (usually) and probably costs more people their license than any other type of appraisal. But if I did do one, it would be a simple 2 approach narrative report. Fair Market Value definition.
Actually most of our Divorce (Dissolution of Marriage) Appraisals are for both sides. If you work with the right Attorneys, you don't spend much time in court, if we do $150/hr which I know is low.

Last edited:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
If you work with the right Attorneys, you don't spend much time in court
If you get to choose the attorney. Like estate work. Contested, didn't know that. Subpoenaed about 3 hours ago, with the check attached - $40. Great, so called my attorney and danged if she isn't on the other side of this conflict. - Sucks that the cheap bastids can't pay a professional fee for testimony.

redfish

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I have found a napkin to be the best medium to report my OMV for dissolution of marriage appraisal assignments. Usually guarantees me juicy billable hours for testimony.

It's all about the work file anyway, right?

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
i won't do divorce. but depending on the value, like a row home, i would use a 2055 general. and cut out the uad, these are normal people who don't speak in appraiser lingo.
and why the 2055? my little experience has been that the judge meets everyone in the middle, no matter how brilliant you are.

Stantheman

Professional Status
State
Washington
my little experience has been that the judge meets everyone in the middle, no matter how brilliant you are.
I would say 40% of the appraisals for divorces are joint (1 report for 2 Attorneys). There are A LOT of appraisers that favor one side or the other, we don't. We tell everyone we give a straight up value, and don't favor either party. We also don't work with every attorney; some are disorganized, everything is last minute and some work in a gray area. About 50% of the time judges will split it down the middle.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Other Appraisers in our area are using similar forms, but they leave all the UAD comments section in. Others make theirs a Restrictive Appraisal Report.
Sad :mad2:

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
As many others have already stated, I would recommend some form of the GPAR (General Purpose Appraisal Report) - I use Total
If you are using Fannie forms however the intended use is for lending purposes.
DO NOT use the F/F 1004 UAD form (many threads about this) but because of the above quote (my bold), this often seems to get appraisers in trouble

Rick Phillips

Professional Status
State
District of Columbia
We are currently using a non-lender 1004 for Attorney work. Besides a Narrative Report, I'm wondering what others are using.

Other Appraisers in our area are using similar forms, but they leave all the UAD comments section in. Others make theirs a Restrictive Appraisal Report.

I use the Appraisal Institute form for all divorce and estate work. I find it's easier for both me to work in and the clients to read and understand later on. I've used the GP in the past and personally I think it sucks. The AI form is not without it's idiosyncrasies. And often I skip the income page when printing (and sometimes the cost).

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks