• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What happened to being advocates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Wolfson

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
I’m furious to hear that the Appraisal Institute had a major hand in pushing for the exclusion of “Licensed” appraisers from the FHA roster. What happened to being advocates, or are licensed appraisers so far down the ladder we aren’t relevant? Seems the proper way to handled qualifying would have been to develop a test (like there use to be) specific to FHA assignments and re-test ALL appraisers. “The FHA license” (sorry, or certification, didn’t mean to exclude anyone).

Now my options are to become certified, which will cost me at least $3000 and 200 hours of class time, or ……………well there really isn’t another option. Ten years ago, when I became licensed, the only difference in the State test for being certified was the addition of 10 math questions. Is AI under the impression that an appraiser with ten years of experience isn’t qualified to do a FHA appraisal assignment simply because of this difference.

I for one will never again take a continuing education class from Appraisal Institute and I wish the other 13,000 appraisers on the FHA roster would send the same message.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
The AI has confusing and paradoxical positions.

I don't believe the residential appraiser has that much value to AI other than its own criteria to be designated SRA, which has at its base qualification to be a licensed state certified residential appraiser with their courses and certification.

If you are going to go certified, go all the way. I am sure the AI is depending on that.

JENIFFERW

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I have a prediction. This thread is going to turn into another argument between licensed vs. certified. Anyway, IMHO, this is the kind of stuff they should be concerned with, rather than license level. It's a post taken from another thread posted yesterday -

"lender pressure via FHA.
Here is an email sent to an assoicate of mine. He had informed the lender that the whole exterior of the home needed scraping and painting. The home was built in 1920.

Here's the lenders email:
"Can't we get around certain things. I'm tryin to get business. one of there rooms is under renovation, not the whole house. If you can't work with me that's too bad. I'm sure someone will. We're not talkin anything illegal here either. I'll have him prime and paint the one room. You've been negative from the beginning. I don't need that in an appraiser. I do a lot of business and every problem has a resolution. I'll get this done, but if you don't wanna work with me, I'm sure someone will. Thanks for your time. "

He sent this letter to HUD who basically said they werent interested. He also sent it to the Senate Banking Committee. Any other thoughts on where this could be sent to help improve lending practices.
thanks,
Kim"

HUD is not interested. Isn't that wonderful.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
AI will benifit by selling all of that CE. See my sig.

Mary Tiernan

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Michigan
Well, I keep waiting to hear from someone who is going to start a class action law suit - I thought FIRREA specifically states no affiliation with organizations would be allowed to be a criteria and the AI also helped insert or 'certified by a professional organization', and HUD has previously defined certified as being certified by the licensing organization.

Now, the last issue of Valuation Magazine put out by the AI does say certified or certified by an appropriate organization, which is evidently their interpretation of the bill.

Where's the folks with connections?

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I'm pretty certain every vocation has their share of proponents who argue all that should be required of anyone to obtain "their" respective license is to pass "the test."

The "Certification" to become an Enrolled Agent (required to practice with CPAs and lawyers before IRS) works that way. All one has to do is pass the exam - no experience requirement - no education requirement - just pass the test and an FBI level (6-month long) background check. Needless to say, if one can pass the exam they know their stuff, and needless to say many with high school degrees have passed it - but not without some serious work. You don't fall of the turnip truck one day, be-bop into the test center and pass the EA exam the next day.

I argue if one can pass the CPA exam one should be allowed to practice as a CPA - God's knows the exam is a ballbuster. But the exam is written by the AICPA, not by individual states who seek to line their pockets with license fees and the exam is not influenced by the market/users of the CPA's services either. Same goes for the bar exam (bar or Barr?) and obtaining a license to practice as an attorney.

Personally, I'd support legislation that called for the AI to draft (and the AI only) the national uniform appraisal exams for residential and commercial licenses and allow anyone to become State-Certified who can pass the exam. To hell with the pre-license education courses and the experience requirements. If you need the education get it - if not, go for it. And if you practice without experience and you screw up you deserve to get your license yanked. But I wouldn't support TAF or the individual states writing the exams.

IMO, fully 1/3 to 1/2 of the appraisers currently in the business right now are not competent to practice - the result of recklessly low standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks