• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What Happens When You Rent To A Old Classmate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Took it upon themselves to do a little remodeling. They are looking for new landlord. Not friends anymore.

Rustic ceiling over perfectly good sheetrock
Electrical. Decided they didn't want gas so rewired
I like dark bedrooms, so took out window. Only one room has more than one window now. DSCN2870 (Small).JPG DSCN2874 (Small).JPG DSCN2873 (Small).JPG
Did about $5000 in damages

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
South Carolina
No good deed goes unpunished

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
The owners are fit to be tied

panappr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Sue classmates.com :ROFLMAO:

Been trying to unsubscribe for years.... BTW I grew up around the corner from that Clown on Lankershim.

I recently rented to an old family friend (from when we were children)... Thought we would re-bond..... NOT. No peace to be found

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
been in the rental game for years - never rent to anyone you know be they friend, family or acquaintance. pay the cost to have a good lease wrote by an experienced r.e. attorney. always take at least 1 month, more if allowed by law, for a deposit. always collect the rent in person so you can view the property monthly to make sure they aren't breeding pigs in the living room (true story, it happened to me).

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
best renter i ever had was a lady i worked with in my corporate days. she and boyfriend were great and stayed for years. replaced her with a Section 8 tenant and after they left found that the boyfriend parked his motorcycle in the living room. (yes on the carpet) That was the end of my landlord era.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
collect the rent in person so you can view the property monthly
the boyfriend parked his motorcycle in the living room

Excellent advise. I knew a property manager of an estate who made a surprise visit (written into contract) and found a motorcycle in the dining room. Told never to let it happen again, Fast forward, I am doing an appraisal. No one was supposed to be home. Teenager is asleep in bed, dead to world on a school day. And the motorcycle was back in the dining room. The PM? wrote the eviction notice that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks