• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What Hours To You Claim In Your Log?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly S

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I'm just working on getting my log ready to submit to the California OREA to upgrade away from my trainee license! I have well over 2000 hours, but wanted to get some opinions on what people put down for their hours on different types of properties. Here's what I have:

SFRs - started out with 8 hours each, then 7, now 6. I do include travel time if they are far away.

Condos - down to 5-6 hours each (plus any travel time)

Units - anywhere from 7-10 hours

Recerts - 2 hours

California does not have any set hours per appraisal like other states, and although my hours are accurate portrayals of my work, I want to make sure that the hours I am putting down are going to set off any red flags at OREA.

Also, for anyone that has recently submitted their hours, how long does it usually take for OREA to "do their thing" and upgrade your license?? They currently have the following statement up on the website: ATTENTION: Due to an extremely heavy volume of recent applications, the current time required to process applications has increased significantly.

Thanks!!

William jackson

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Kelly ,
I just went from trainee to residential.Got my license in about 80 days after I turned in my paperwork. Your hours are almost exactly the same as my range and they were accepted.

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Kelly,

Well, I'm in New Mexico and I did mine a few years back, but it sounds fairly similar.

There were the cookie cutters that were just a few hours, then there were some REO's and a handful of multi families that were more than 8 hours. I made a list of those I claimed extra hours on, including those I had to pull 2 more comps or provide extensive additional addenda and explained what took place. Generally, the state will cherry pick a couple of files and ask for you to send them in for review.

I understand that the travel time is not counted. The thought process was that although it was required to get the job done, you weren't necessarily 'learning the appraisal process' in that time. This would differ from driving a neighborhood to analyze the land use or inspect/shoot comparables. That indeed is learning time, however two hour backup on the freeway- nope, couldn't count it.

Again, I am in NM, CA may be different.

Good luck!!!

Kelly S

Professional Status
State
California
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks