• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What is a minor window crack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Per FHA/HUD minor window cracks are not cause to call for repair. Well, what is minor? Is this minor?

vwindowcrack.jpg

Edit to add: Window is above the kitchen counter and +/- 4' off the ground outside. No children in home. Owners are very elderly and very poor.

Last edited:

redfish

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Minor.

All you can do is report what you see and identify deficiencies. Judgement call. The DE can disagree.

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
I think it is minor too. Just wanted a few other opinions. :D

Dennis

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Alabama
Yes, its minor, but that does not matter. You see it, you report it, the DEU decides what to do.

I recently had a sale that had a boat load of 'minor' problems. It closed with no problems. Also had two refi's, both had 'minor' siding damage. Both had to be repaired and I did a CIR on both. If it were up to me, the two refi's would fly untouched and the sale would have had a lot of work done!

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
I'm reporting it - don't worry about that. I'm just calling for repair (but I am for all the peeling paint).

Scott R Marshall

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
This is per the FHA handbook 4150.2 under the FHA quicktips:

"Cosmetic repairs are not required; however they are to be considered in the overall condition rating and valuation of the property. Examples of cosmetic repair would include surface treatments, beautification or adornment not required for the preservation of the property. For example, generally, worn floor finishes or carpeting, holes in window screens, or a small crack in a windowpane are examples of deferred maintenance that do not rise to the level of required repair but must be reported by the appraiser"

Greg Bell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Louisiana
If a bird can fly through the window it's MPR..Yours is cosmetic..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks