• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What is it w/ Govt that takes so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I appraised a property in Sept. They reviewed my appraisal in Dec. It closed about 30 days ago (mid-Feb). Got a call yesterday about a sale I appraised in Oct. Seems it did not appraise out, so they renogotiated the price..back on, reviewed my appraisal in Jan. Seems now the sticking point is a repair (actually an add on) requirement since required to add a scale bin to each house, about $15,000 upgrade and they wanted to know how it would affect value which I told them the deprec. of the buildings overall was 30+% so figure I would deduct that off the $15,000 Cost new at least. The seller has cancer and has been fighting this fight since summer. I did another which finally after 6 mo. is ready to close only to find the Laotian buyers do not have the proper citizenship papers. INS said yes, we will send you a fax to that effect, but the papers will take 90 days to prepare and send to the people...Geez, when they finally get to it, I am confident the clerk will not take 15 minutes to actually do the paperwork....Is there a real reason or excuse for the government to act in such a slow manner?
ter

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Ter,
I did an appraisal for the USDA last year. Friendly purchase of land to add to the national forest. Almost one year later, it finally closed. The problem was due to the Gov'ment freezing any spending while fighting all those wild fires. Had to wait until money was re-appropriated.

But with the Gob'ment..... who knows.

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Terrel:
About two years ago I did an appraisal for the Virginia Attorney General's office. After six months I still had not been paid. I sent a letter asking why. The Attorney General's lawyer in Roanoke sent the bill to the state office in Richmond and they forwarded it to the Virginia Mental Hospital. I then received a letter from the director of Virginia Mental Hospital saying they needed a form W-9 or something. To make a long story short I exchanged 4 letters with that person and after another six months got my check. To answer your question: Government employees. I think the truth of the matter was they didn't have the money to pay me and were waiting for the next budget cycle.
My dad was a broker and about 30 years ago during the Vietnam war he had an army sarge on his way to Vietnam and sold him a house for his family. Time was of the essence so he got in the car and drove 100 miles to the local VA office. He got there about lunch time and at 12 noon on the dot every person in the office got up and walked out to lunch leaving him sitting there. Then at 4:30 on the dot that afternoon they all got up and went home. They didn't give a damn if the loan ever closed. These people have a simple mind: Eight hours a day with one hour for lunch; paid holidays; vacation time; quiting time; sick days; and last but certainly not least retirement at tax payer expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks