• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

What Is The Best Mobile Computer For Appraisal Field Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug in NC

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I've used a Samsung pad computer for the last 2 years. It has been adequate, but I've had it with its glitches of freezing up on me in hot weather and rain.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Tablets are too big and bulky. I use note 3. I carry camera, phone, and disto.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I've used everything from a PDA (HP4700) to a Motion Computing Windows Tablet (Heavy), and all three sizes of iPads. My favorite was the ipad Air, though I'm currently using an iPad Pro. The larger screen is much better for someone with Essential Tremors.

John Fisher

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Tablets are too big and bulky. I use note 3. I carry camera, phone, and disto.

Do you not use the Note 3 for a camera due to lack of zoom and flash, or are there other reasons?

I also find a phablet type phone with a laser measuring device to work best for me in most situations.

Doug in NC

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Do you not use the Note 3 for a camera due to lack of zoom and flash, or are there other reasons?

I also find a phablet type phone with a laser measuring device to work best for me in most situations.
That is one other shortcoming of the Samsung device I use, it lacks a flash. No good whatsover for doing REO work.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland

Zoom and flash is probably part of it. I just like how the photos turn out on the camera better. Newer phones take better photos than my note 3 but I still like my camera. I use the phone as a backup.

jim farrelly

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
I use an apple 6 + and bosch laser. I typically use a hybrid method: I like total mobile and the phone for pics, comp pics,and directions. I find it too small for sketching . That however, may be due to my eyesight and needing cheaters. Also, I appraise in an area of raised ranches and Chicago bungalows. Pretty much just rectangles.

I have tried an Ipad mini. I could sketch and possibly form fill a little. But, truth be told with the type of home I appraise, I dont think the sketch of form filling would save much time.

The comp photos and subject photos loaded is a time saver to me!

Rlong

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Colorado
I use Iphone 6+ ("Big" phone) with Total for Mobile and Disto with bluetooth. Pretty slick, and my eyesite is fair. I didn't want to carry more things and move / import pics etc.

Good Luck

Ken Masla

Professional Status
General Public
State
California
1) iPad Mini with Total.
2) Disto. Not the bluetooth one.
3) PC with Total

Do not mess with tablet PCs, for some reason, they can not figure it out yet.

Get rid of your digital camera. If need be, get a go pro and film your whole inspection and put it in a digital work file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks