• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

What Is The Best Os For Appraising?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzy70

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Utah
We are wanting to get a laptop for researching comps while in the field instead of having to go back to the office, then back out again for comp photos. We have been using the Windows 7 Pro OS on our office computers and it seems to work fine. Most new laptops have Windows 10, but we have seen bad reviews about W10 in the past. Has that changed? What OS have most appraisers found to work best with appraising? Thanks

luv1138

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Win 10 is stable right now, Microsoft has been releasing updates, and patching things up. I had Win 7 Pro too, and switching to Win 10 Pro not only made my PC faster, but everything is more convenient. If you've been using Win 7 for a while, once you switch to 10, it'll take you a bit to get used to it. I recommend Win 10, but Win 7 Pro is great too.

Fargo1

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Dakota
Well since the only OS that the form vendors support is Windows your options are limited. You can use Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Windows. Nice huh?

OK sarcasm aside. Your other options beside Windows alone is to use Windows inside a virtual machine or to switch to cloud based appraisal suite.

If you are asking about Windows 7 or Windows 10 I would just use which ever you have a paid license for. They both behave more or less the same and have the same level of security. I wouldn't buy an upgrade to 10 unless you just like shiny things.

If you are looking at using a virtual machine I know there are a couple of guys on the forum using MacOS and also a couple of us that are using Linux. I prefer Linux. I like to have control over my machine and what it does. I control what it looks like, when it updates, what it updates and I believe it has the best security and reliability. I also like that it is open source. No single company controls it. Instead it is more of a cooperative effort with input from multiple companies like RedHat, Suse, and Ubuntu along with a very large community of individual developers and private organizations. I would recommend Ubuntu LTS or Kubuntu LTS. I personally use Maui which is similar to Kubuntu but gets more recent updates. I would also highly recommend this version as well.

If you are going to make the move to cloud software such as alamode's upcoming Titan, I would still recommend Ubuntu LTS, Kubuntu LTS, or Maui. They are a complete OS and offer hundreds of installable programs and the ability to use offline. However, if you just want something to run cloud software from, Google Chromebooks would be an option. The hardware would be cheaper than other options, but all your software is run from the cloud. However, until Titan and other appraisal software is fully operational this is really not an option, but something to consider for the near future.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Win 10 and Edge browser... Firefox has been really bad lately for me on another machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks