• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What is your favorite kind of appraisal assignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug in NC

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I have to say I've enjoyed estate and work for a private education institution best. Both paid better than lender work, there was less time pressure, no value pressure, clients treated me as a professional and with respect as the expert, and payment for work was prompt as well. Another bonus is neither have reviewers, underwriters, or middle men, so there were no hassles of irritating box checkers in some other state calling to nitpick at my reports.

The more I do lender work, the less I like it. Why? More liability, faster and faster turn times, more documentation, all for the same or less than what was being paid in 1992! In all seriousness, I'm starting to get so caught up in making sure the lenders' checklists of requirements are being adhered to, I am starting to get distracted from doing the actual "appraisal" work.

stefan olafson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Dakota
Non Lender, Non Residential, Very Rural in Nature! I absolutely love the challenge of something just a little bit different, a little odd, a lot out of the way!

I dislike lender work right now because of the fees, it was a very lucrative profession for a few years with no or little AMC interference.

Give me a challenge and a fee to complete it properly.

Charles Drecksler

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Type of Work

Hi Doug,

REO
Estate
Tax

I haven't completed an assignment for loan origination in 2 1/2 +- years.
I do not miss this type of work at all.

Have a great day!

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
A mortgage lending Fannie appraisal of a cookie cutter house in a cookie cutter neighborhood across the street from the one I did the day before.

It's been a couple of years since I did my favorite type of appraisal.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Non-Lender

Lawyer, All types that I get from them.

Insurance Company, All types I get from the Ag boys and girls.

-------------------

In the lender end.

ERC and REO

------------

I guess these would be at the top.

Equine and Livestock appraisal

Personal Property Appraisals

Equine & Livestock Business Consulting work.

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Estate or divorce appraisal on a giant house in the four-wheel drive area. I can usually charge a good fee, the job is challenging and it is fun driving on the beach and trying to find the property since nothing up there is marked. The neighborhood has wild horses walking around.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
An estate, rural, garden variety, pays ok, no hassle, rarely an argument - narrative

My least favorite - any secondary market loan ag or res.

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
I like any nonlender work with a big fee.:)

Birdman

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Estate or divorce appraisal on a giant house in the four-wheel drive area. I can usually charge a good fee, the job is challenging and it is fun driving on the beach and trying to find the property since nothing up there is marked. The neighborhood has wild horses walking around.

JRS,

Hey you need to start a thread bout those wild horses and show us some pics. My wife and I went out your way last year and we couldn't find them.

Steve

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks