• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What Method Do You Use For Making A Condition Adjustment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR1972

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
My subject is in C2 and my comp is C3 and I was wondering what other people do to make an adjustment for this? Please do not tell me to find better comps, there aren't any. I have looked through the forums and everyone seems to go bonkers about age, effective age and condition and then it turns into a free for all. I tried Marshall and Swift, but they don't adjust for condition. Any help would be appreciated.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I'll often times make an upgrades (updates) type adjustment instead of condition (separate line adjustment toward bottom of grid)

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
  1. Proving Appraisal Adjustments - Working RE...
    www.workingre.com/proving-appraisal-adjustments/
    From that information we can conclude a condition adjustment of $40,000 – for .... be used to determine market extracted adjustments for bedroom/bath count, ...

2. Making Reasonable and Appropriate Adjustments
    www.workingre.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/making-reasonab...
    This article explains how to make appropriate and reasonable adjustments for ... Some appraisers and reviewers are of the opinion that line item adjustments have .... in order to extract adequate adjustments for certain property characteristics.
  1. Appraisal Scoop: Adjustments
    appraisalnewsonline.typepad.com/appraisal_news_for_real_e/ad...
    May 20, 2013 ... Market derived adjustments can then be made to comparables for ... However, the appraiser then notes that Comp 1 condition is C3, i.e., the ..... The Dictionary of Real Estate Appraisal defines [the Extraction Method] as:.
  1. What Adjustments Have the Most Influence on ...
    www.corelogic.com/blog/authors/jon-wierks/2015/10/what-adjus...
    Oct 8, 2015 ... Other features that were adjusted on 50 percent or more of appraisal reports were Room, Car Storage, Porch and Deck, Overall Condition and ...
  1. Condition/Age Adjustments | AppraisersForum.com
    appraisersforum.com/forums/threads/condition-age-adjustments...
    Jun 4, 2007 ... I appraised a waterfront home today and I was wondering the different approaches ... Do most of you make adjustments for age or condition?

2. Do Appraisals Always Require Adjustments for...
    collateralanalytics.com/do-appraisals-always-require-adjustm...
    Apr 29, 2016 ... But how often do appraisers actually make adjustments for property condition and how often should they make adjustments? Traditional ...
  1. Condition adjustments | AppraisersForum.com
    appraisersforum.com/forums/threads/condition-adjustments.205...
    Feb 2, 2015 ... Appraiser Trainee. Florida. Seen alot about age adjustments and sqft adjustments but nothing on the condition adjustments. In older homes 40 ...

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
everyone seems to go bonkers about age, effective age and condition and then it turns into a free for all.
I'm shocked that you would think our erudite discussions would degenerate into a brawl. :rof: In my opinion you cannot separate age and condition except mechanically, ie- straight line age

I would do a market extracted determination of effective age for the comps. Effective Age appears to be the best proxy for condition.
https://www.ipt.org/iptdocs/Files/Papers/2014AC/028Lennhoff.pdf
https://www.aicanada.ca/article/market-extraction-method-is-not-yet-obsolete/
and the best is Epley's article
http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/papers/pdf/past/vol05n01/v05p041.pdf

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
baffle them with bullsh!!
This is what you remember 35 years after graduating Whatsamatta U. :peace:

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I like Terrell's comments in post #3. I find that a $/SF adjustment works well although it needs explanation. Many times it can be derived with sensitivity analysis after all other adjustments are made.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
State
Florida
. I tried Marshall and Swift, but they don't adjust for condition. Any help would be appreciated.
A) The Marshall Valuation Service is a cost based data source. As it is most commonly utilized to support development of an estimated replacement cost new in the cost approach and the depreciation calculation is performed subsequently, one would not expect condition adjustments to be contained within that data source.

B) There are various comparison methods (9 quantitative and 3 qualitative techniques) for the sales comparison approach in order to extract applicable adjustments for specifically identified characteristics, pick one.

In your evaluation of the subject YOU have rated the subject as a C2 and the comp as a C3. Why did you select those ratings? Those reason should guide you in the adjustment process. You have not provided sufficient detail to allow anyone to provide any specific assistance to your request.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Your market data will determine if an adjustment is warranted, and what it should be. Despite the best efforts to "standardize" quality and condition, the market simply does not function in that manner. I would not be surprised if there were no difference at all in the market analysis, given all other factors being equal.

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
baffle them with bullsh!!

WOW - I have not seen that one in years. But it was our standard refrain back in my corporate (pre-appraisal) days. And I must admit the concept remains an option in my current endeavors ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks