• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What Organizations Are You A Member Of, Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Fookes

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I am looking to take on a bunch of continuing ed, and want to know what organizations you all are members of. I really want to get a good value, and good classes, and belong to an organization that is going to benefit me and the appraisal industry. Who are you veterans with, and why? I am looking at AI now, but just started to check out NAIFA, what are your thoughts on either/both, or what others out there should I look into?

Thanks for any help

Josh

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
I personally prefer the NAIFA, been a very proud member since 1983, IFA Member #3512. I was a member of the IAAO, received my first professional designation from them (RES #98, 10th woman in the world to receive that specific designation by the way in 1982). But eventually dropped it after not being in the ad valoreum field for over fifteen years. Then under protest in the late 1980s had to join the old Society of Real Estate Appraisers (my boss insisted that lenders wouldn't order appraisals from me if I didn't). So then earned my SRA designation with the Society in 1989 and then converted it to the AI's SRA after the two organizations merged. I pay my NAIFA dues for the next year when I get my bill in September. The AI bill gets paid at 5:30PM on March 31st each year as I mutter under my breath. By the way, after I got the SRA, the chief appraiser in our large office kept teasing me I should drop the IFA so I would receive more orders. We finally did a count, myself and another IFA designee were on more approved client lists than the five other SRAs in the office. So, I then told him, he needed to drop his SRA and join the NAIFA. He eventually did drop the SRA, but didn't join the NAIFA. The state director for CA NAIFA is very active and has a nice news letter--even participates here occasionally and attended the Orlando forum gathering. Contact him and get some information. The NAIFA is known as the caring and sharing organization and is the most active professional appraisal organization for residential appraisers. The AI is more commercial then residential, the ASA is more personal property then real estate.

And any organization is very dependent on volunteers--so whatever organization you decide on--attend chapter meetings, volunteer your time to make phone calls, write letters, send emails, etc, etc, etc. When appraisers complain because the organizations aren't doing anything--it is because the appraisers themselves aren't doing anything--volunteers are the "they" of the organizations, so "they" need to volunteer!

Tim Cullen

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Hi Joshua,

I'm Tim Cullen, IFAS and State Director for NAIFA in California.

I want to thank JoAnn for her kind comments. I just published an article on manufactured homes that Jo Ann wrote in this month's webpage. It is the first part of a two part series on this subject. In our April newsletter JoAnn had some clarification comments about an article I wrote in our March newsletter on "Updates". Everyone in this forum knows JoAnn is vocal with her opinions on matters that affect appraisers.

Since you come from NoCal I have classes scheduled for Redding, Burlingame, Sacramento, Vallejo, Oakland, Capitola and San Jose during the remainder of 2003. Take a look at our state webpage at www.CaliforniaNAIFA.com for specifics on the classes we offer, the dates and cost.

I also made an offer to Pam Crowley, moderator, of this forum when we met in Florida to assist AppraisersForum in offering some current and meaninful low cost multi-state accredited educational classes in California if she decides to host an annual meeting somewhere in California. That offer is still open to her.

If you have questions about our organization please contact me at [email protected]. I'll try to answer any of your questions or direct you to someone who may have the answer. If I don't have the answer or don't know the answer I'll tell you that too. California NAIFA is here to help and be a voice of the residential appraiser. California NAIFA offers 2 free days of eduction per calendar year with membership. This pays for approximately 60% of a designated member's yearly membership fee.

I'll let others list the pros and cons or post their experience with each of the appraisal organizations. In my opinion each organization offers something different to each appraiser. Each of the major appraisal organizations are like the armed services - the Army, the Navy, the Coast Guard, the Marines and the Air Force. One can have a specific opinion on any of these based upon any number of factors.

Tim

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I am an SRA from back when the SREA and AI were separate entities. At the time of merger, SRAs greatly outnumbered the MAIs. Now the MAIs control the AI as can be seen by what they support and what they don't support. I have joined the NAIFA and find their meetings much more congenial and informative to the typical appraiser. I haven't dropped my SRA.....Yet.

Roger

jtrotta

over the years have been involved with most organizations; the one that offers good information is the NAIFA, but as time has passed, it was the only group that I have not joined - in my area the closest group and meeting area was near New York and would cost me an entire day of travel so I opted out.

I did join the National Association of Review Appraisers and Mortgage Underwriters many years ago, for the sole purpose of learning more about the Underwriting process; to try an understand how they think. It has been a useful tool for me. My original affiliation was with SREA back in the 80's and I felt it was the best organization, and was an affiliate member of the AI for a few years, but times were changing fast and still are.

I would suggest you think about what it is your seeking and review what the organizations offer, then decide.

Good Luck in your choice

:ph34r:

Sage Stevens

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
Bumping up a very old post.

I'm interested in what some people think now...a few years later....

I checked out both NAIFA and AI - both are about equal in price (membership only - not designations). The only thing that makes me lean one way is that AI has a closer local chapter than NAIFA, but I'm just curious what everyone thinks about memberships to these organizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks