• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What Should It Be Reported As On The Report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebean

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Georgia
My subject is a single family home that the T A says it has a basement.

You can access it from the main level like a basement but it has two single car garage doors.

What is it? Is it an unfin. basement or a garage?

I feel it is a garage because of its present use. Any comments.

Thanks

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
Sounds like a BI garage. Is there a driveway leading to the doors? I would consider it a garage, but in the cost approach calculate it as a basement and add for OH doors. The main thing is to be consistent with the description. I have reviewed many reports and there is no one answer for this.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
Is there a wall seperating the garage area from the rest of the basement? If so, I'd call it both. If not, I'd call it one or the other, just be sure not to give it "credit" for both in the adjustment grid. In other words, it doesn't have a full unfinished basement AND a 2 car garage. It has a 2 car garage (basement) and a partial unfinshed basement.

If there is no wall, how does the market react to that area? Is it a basement or a garage? If there is no other garage,my guess is that it is a garage. If there is another garage, my guess is that it is a very accessible basement.

Those are quite common in my market. Usually there is a wall dividing the two areas and no other garage. My ideal house has a basment garage, plus two other garages and a finished basement area. I may build that plan someday.

thebean

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Georgia
Thanks,

It has driveway up to each door.

It is one large room with stairs leading down the middle of each door.

It has no other detached or attached garage.

The Tax Assessor calls it a basement and does not list a garage.

Would present use and design be the ruling factor?

thebean

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Georgia
Thanks

It has no other garges.

It does have driveway to doors.

It is one large room with stairs from the main level between the 2 garage doors.

The tax assessor calls it a basement and does not list a garage.

Does present use and design determine what it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks