• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What State Can You Obtain A License Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory Smith

Freshman Member
I am interested to know what states have quick licensing requirements. Are there any states that will allow a trainee to get a license in under 1 year?

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
The state of insanity. :D

I don"t know of any that have less than two years. That is for a good reason. It is impossible to learn everything you need to know in two short years.

Allen Bruckner

Professional Status
State
Florida
If you read the time or hours required in the state of florida, you can get your licence in 2000 hours and the way it is worded you can get it in 9 months. I have spoken to the state about this and they said untill the regulations are changed that this will be honored. The Cert licence specifically say's the time and hours, the licence say's it but say's it incorrectly. This was told to us by our instructor. The loophole is big and many Registered's are passing through it.
I am not trying to say that you will be ready, only that you can do it.

Allen

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Tim said:

The state of insanity.

Allen said:

If you read the time or hours required in the state of florida, you can get your licence in 2000 hours and the way it is worded you can get it in 9 months.

I rest my case. :lol:

Mickey Stevens

Professional Status
State
Dom. Republic
Texas also only requires 2000 hours. The rules don't specify a time period. So basically once you get the 2000 hours, how ever long that takes you can apply for the license. So it seems to be the same as Florida.

Additionally, in Texas you can get a provisional license with no experience. You just have to take the classes and pass the State Licensed level test.

It does however, take 2 years and 2500 hours to get certified.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
If you work 24/7 you could do it in 83 days :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously, if you think becoming an appraiser is something you should do as quickly as possible....find another career field. We have too many people taking too many short cuts already.

Allen Bruckner

Professional Status
State
Florida
Mike, we need to get our licences fast, remember " When the work get's slow the trainee goes." It a self fulfilling nightmare. We need not rely on our trainers for our future livelyhood, so we need to get licenced as fast as possible. if we do and do the appraisals wrong, we will pay the price.

Allen

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
Wait......Forida?? isn't that the state where I need a little metal rod to poke through a piece of (not) perforated paper to be able to vote for president?? That would explain the poor wording.......

You know, it's funny, a bunch of the certified appraisers up here in CT were certified before license law started in the form it is in today. Grandfathered in, and not going anywhere. I'm just glad I got my cert. before they made the regs stronger. Right now, one of the things I've been seeing is requiring an A.A. at the very least to be "qualified" for a provisional license here in CT. Can you say....NO MORE NEW APPRAISERS!!!!!! Just fine with me ;-)

Allen Bruckner

Professional Status
State
Florida
Rule One- Always attack the spelling.
Rule Two- attack the working.
When you have really nothing to say see rules 1 and 2.

Can you say "a better breed of appraisers" that must at least have an AS degree. How about us that have more, can we be appraisers.

I don't think it has been the newbees that have forced the creation of new rules and regulations. It has been the older appraisers that have taken advantage of the lack of rules in the past. I find it hard to believe that most of the older appraisers are not sitting in jail because of their abuse of the old system. I am not saying that the people here are doing anything wrong, and I hope most are honest, But the facts show that the new breed of appraisers will be better than the old, just because of the rules and penalties for not following them.
But then again it's only this Masters Degree's Opinion.
Allen

dezra

Sophomore Member
I don't think that a blanket statement that getting your license fast is a bad idea, is accurate for everyone. Each newbie out there varies in the degree of contact they have had with appraising. Allen also makes a good point, I feel,
regarding the new breed of appraisers who are required to have more than those of you who learned from the school of hard knocks. There seems to be some of you seasoned folks who express nothing but negative comments that give no regard to the education, training and exposure some of us have already had to appraising. Personally, I grew up in a family of real estate influence (investment and construction), bought my first house at 20, took real estate sales classes at 21, have done real estate investing for the last 28 years, have a keen sense of property value, have entrepreneurial skills. I know the value of homes, property and land by osmosis, book learning and experience. That is making my appraiser classes easy. I teach small business topics at our local community college and have done graduate studies and my Bachelors degree. To tell me that my entire life's worth of exposure is the equivalent of any other newbie out there, is discrediting and inaccurate. On the other hand, if I had no exposure, learning or previous skills, my ability to catch on from the next person's would also vary. It's not like there are 100 valuation methods to memorize. There are just at least 100 scenarios for valuation. My point is everyone is an individual and bring with them a separate and unique group of qualifications. :yellowblack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks