• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What to do - Commercial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultraviolet

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Arizona
The subject property is zoned commercial and is surrounded on all sides by small commercial (office, small retail, worship facility and another older SFR with C-1 zoning).

The subject is being used as a group home and is under a 5 year lease with automatic 5% increases each year.

The SFR adjacent to the south is used as an administrative office for the organization running the group home next door.

The client has instructed me to appraise the property under the hypothetical condition that it is an SFR located on a minor thoroughfare, surrounded by commercial.

My opinion is that the only residential aspect of this property is how it looks from the street - like a house! :leeann2:

What would you tell your client?

Last edited:

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
The client has instructed to appraise the property under the hypothetical condition that is an SFR located on a minor thoroughfare, surrounded by commercial.

:rof: :rof:

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
The subject property is zoned commercial and is surrounded on all sides by small commercial (office, small retail, worship facility and another older SFR with C-1 zoning).

The subject is being used as a group home and is under a 5 year lease with automatic 5% increases each year.

The SFR adjacent to the south is used as an administrative office for the organization running the group home next door.

The client has instructed to appraise the property under the hypothetical condition that is an SFR located on a minor thoroughfare, surrounded by commercial.

My opinion is that the only residential aspect of this property is how it looks from the street - like a house! :leeann2:

Residential may not be the HBU and the existing use would be a value in use, not market value.

Who is the client and intended users? What is the intended use?

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina

:rof: I'd say I don't do fraudulent reports. :rof:

Fred

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Virgin Islands
What is the intended use?
Fooling the secondary market into buying the mortgage.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The property rights you are appraising are affected by that lease. For your client to ask you to ignore that lease isn't one of their options.

Ultraviolet

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Arizona
The property rights you are appraising are affected by that lease. For your client to ask you to ignore that lease isn't one of their options.

What if the client is my employer and can make notes in my permanent file? :icon_mrgreen:

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
A SFR can be leased with those same terms and the second house could be a guest house.............right? But the zoning would likely mean H&BU would be commercial since it is already surrounded by commercial, small retail and a church.

Ultraviolet

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Arizona
Thanks for the helpful comments.

My position is that I'm not qualified to do this assignment due to the commercial nature of the property and complexity.

There are other houses on the same street that are zoned residential and other houses in the area with similar commercial influences. But there are no similar properties that have all the same characteristics that aren't being used in a commercial capacity.

I haven't been asked to mislead anyone or leave out details, only to use a hypothetical condition that I don't think is reasonable.

What I'm worried about is the AZ Board of Appraisal - not the client! :icon_mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks