• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What Topics Useful To Appraisers Need Taught But Rarely Are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Boring offerings are the norm on-line and in class, but to me several courses that should be taught aren't being taught anywhere I know. My Choices to start would be:
A- Materials & Processes. A class to familiarize appraisers with innovations in design (like geothermal), materials (like traditional stucco v. acrylic stucco; metal roofing systems; siding types), concrete mixes, strengths & potential problems, septic system innovation
B- Local legal issues, surveying problems, partial estate appraisal, reading survey calls, legal descriptions, ROW issues.

What courses would you like to see?

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
All about Construction.

I had one like that some years ago. Biggest thing I remember is it's all about the water.
Mainly keeping it out of where you don't want it. So, apparently a refresher would be good.
Chances of taking that again from World Savings are zero. :shrug:

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
I go out of my way not to read other's reports. I see sales close with conventional financing that are old, small bungalow or low quality two stories and they sell for $300 a square foot when they are listed with some realtors. I'd like a class that would explain how that happens.

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Minnesota
Composing your Highest and Best Use And Reconciliation. Learn what they mean and how to write them. They're not just a check box.
What you need to do to make your appraisal UAD compliant while covering yourself from FNMA traps and inconsistencies
How to support your report
How to appraise in an increasing market - it's not just about closed sales
How to appraise a property without good comps
How to handle review stips from morons
It's your appraisal, don't let the lender or the form dictate you.

reviewbe

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
common sense 101!! For example, if your range of value gets larger after you make adjustments than it was before, then your adjustments don't make sense.

Here's another; if you conclude to a market rent that's different than actual rent, you ought to have a good reason.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
common sense 101!! For example, if your range of value gets larger after you make adjustments than it was before, then your adjustments don't make sense. .

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

That or you need the most recent version of the Big Book of Adjustments.

Gobears81

Professional Status
State
Illinois
-Advanced income capitalization part two
-Additional classes regarding business valuation and separation of personal property/ intangibles - the instructor of the primary class said that they were going to have three additional courses, but it has not happened. Part of the problem is the extreme disagreement in the profession on how it is actually handled though.
-Probably wouldn't fly because of the differences between the individual states, but I'd take a subsidized housing/ LIHTC course
-I agree with Lee regarding a construction class, although I think that they need to beef that up in the core trainee curriculum. For example, I didn't know what a fascia or soffit was when I started appraising.

Here's another; if you conclude to a market rent that's different than actual rent, you ought to have a good reason.
Is the rents being too low or too high a good reason? :)

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
I'd pay Terrel to teach those classes.

I've always thought too much local CE was centered on residential work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks