• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What Type Of Inspection To Call For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gulf Coast

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
Appraised a newer home (4 years old) and the borrower says there have been many many issues with the house. He says the builder did not do a very good job supervising the workers and so things were done half butt. He showed me many items that were obviously wrong. For example, the headers above a door (in a load bearing wall) was a couple of 1 x 4's stacked flat (yes flat). The headers above the garage door (in a built-in garage with house above) were two 2 x 4's stacked properly (my home has two 2 x 12's with plywood between and oriented properly). One exterior door was higher than the others (builder forgot to take out the shipping material from under the door before installing). I could go on but you get the idea. I asked how this home ever passed the original inspections and was told the original house had burnt down and this one was paid for by the insurance company...and so very little inspections ever actually occurred. Anyway, I know I should at least alert the lender there MAY be issues with the house (but I have no building experience so who am I to say?). Bottom of page 1 of URAR asks if any physical deficiencies that affect the livability, soundness or structural integrity exist. What would you do?

Last edited:

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Check to see if any permits were issued before the construction began. That would be my starting point. If they were, then I would consider all of what you said in the quality rating of the subject property. Find sales with a similar quality rating and extract the effect on the subject from the market.

Gulf Coast

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
Check to see if any permits were issued before the construction began. That would be my starting point. If they were, then I would consider all of what you said in the quality rating of the subject property. Find sales with a similar quality rating and extract the effect on the subject from the market.
What about page 1 of the URAR where it ask's if any physical deficiencies exist that affect the livability, soundness or structural integrity...?

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Are there any deficiencies that exist which affect the livability, soundness or structural integrity...? If so, then report them.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I would just mention the items you note above in the report, add pics of said items if you feel this will help, address it in the report, use the "C" and "Q" ratings accordingly, find similar closed comparable sales and appraise the property. IMO, nothing you mention seems to be a major affect ... just seems like a PO'd buyer/borrower (I probably would be too from what you describe) Everything seems cosmetic and not detrimental to the "bottom of pg 1" of the URAR

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I asked how this home ever passed the original inspections and was told the original house had burnt down and this one was paid for by the insurance company...and so very little inspections ever actually occurred.

I have never heard of the inspection process being changed just because of a re-build situation. In fact, my experience has been just the opposite.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sounds to me like the home owner needs to contact the governing authority that does building inspections for starters. If I was the appraiser I would note the deficiencies in my appraisal and, if you feel it is needed, make an adjustment for condition. I'm not qualified to determine if this is something that affects the soundness of the improvement so I would leave this to the underwriter.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Does the city require CO's when ownership changes? Would this home pass a new CO inspection or require remediation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks