• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike McAlpin

Freshman Member
There is an Appraisal company that is a total Chop Shop. And a couple clients I have use my company and this company.

They lie on their forms on things like date of sale SQ FT.
The licensed appraiser lives in a different state and lied about his address to keep his license sign off on that work.
The same 2 people sign all the appraisals even though neither of them performed any part of the appraisal.

What would you do?

Richard J. Glesser

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
I'm sure you already know what to do but would prefer support for doing nothing and waiting for someone else to turn them in to the State.

We must police ourselves and rid the profession of the bad apples if we want to have the respect this profession deserves. With so many government financial cutbacks, the agencies deemed with maintaining compliance can do little more than try to keep up with complaints received, leaving this office operating illegally until someones brings it to their attention. If we weren't all so busy and behind, this competition would affect our bottom line and they'd be reported. :usa:

Mike McAlpin

Freshman Member
How would I go about turning them in

Who would I contact?

I have copies of appraisals they did with false sale dates on comps and other errors.

Thanks

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Great, Mike!!! Evidence, too!

Find out through your state board office how to go about filing a complaint. Then, just run a copy of the appraisal(s) in question, highlight the areas that are not correct, write a very brief and factual statement about what is not right with each 'field' that is highlighted on the report. Stick just to the facts and do not put any of your opinion in. Include copies of the data that shows what you have pointed out. The easier you make it for the state investigators, the better. Keep in mind that many/most investigators are not appraisers.

Now package that mess and sent it in to your state Appraisal Board for investigation!

So often, we know what's going on and can't get our hands on any of the evidence. You've got it!!!!

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
I have to ditto Pam! I have one that I wish I could get my hands on one of more of his reports. I would turn him in just like Pam said. I might even hand deliver them!!

David Aliberti

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Chop shops are everywhere and the cold hard fact is that no one cares..
So you can try to turn them in, but I would bet you nothing happens.
Just accept it and go to sleep @ night with some integrity.
The whole industry needs to be changed, until there is one central agency that assigns appraisals by lic # and area the tail will wag the dog :eyecrazy:

Joshua Fookes

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The only way for the wicked to prevail is for the righteous to do nothing (that's my late night, can't remember verbatum quote, but you get the jist)

The whole industry needs to be changed, until there is one central agency that assigns appraisals by lic # and area the tail will wag the dog

If you do nothing the rest of us are going to take it up the tail pipe down the road.

The "one central agency" aint ever gonna happen (if you really want it to) until you get enough monkeys to rattle the cage and get someone to come see what's going on.

If the outside world knew we were hard on our peers who were slime, then they would respect us a little more.

Good night,

Josh

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I have in my possession, 2 appraisals by a local, "experienced" appraiser on two properties I have done. Both are HUD Code Manufactured and in both reports, he calls the houses "modular" houses and uses site built comps with no quality adjustments. He was also, IMNSHO, about 12% high in both cases. This is the same guy who got caught in a review apprasal fabricating comps about 7 years ago. Both reports are 1004's with no cost approach and no explanation for departure.

I would love to turn him in but until I know for certain that there is an state agency that gives a rats behind, I will keep my mouth shut. If the agency that licenses us will not enforce the rules, far be it from me to step into the lurch. If the clients are either dumb enough to not see what is going on in these reports or just don't care because he "hits the number", then that is their problem. Wish it weren't so but then, this is far from a perfect world we live in.

Patrick W

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
We all know that the honest and ethical appraisers don't have a chance against the number hitters. It seems that at least once or twice a week anymore I have to follow behind some other appraisal done 6 months to 1 year ago that is so bogus that you can't believe it. When the homeowner gets the real value they think you missed something or don't know what you're doing. Turn someone in, you gotta be kiddin. A very large segment of this profession is unethical and all the honest appraisers know it. When the market finally falls on its face for real thats when we might see from changes to the system. The greed of many in the industry, including appraisers, is a large part of the problem but no one wants to hear it. Good luck tryin but you'll be swimmin upstream and talkin to deaf ears. You might even turn out to look like the bad guy, you're rockin the boat, sorry I mean the gravy train.

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
State
Florida
Originally posted by David Aliberti@Jun 26 2003, 12:14 AM
Chop shops are everywhere and the cold hard fact is that no one cares..
So you can try to turn them in, but I would bet you nothing happens.
The whole industry needs to be changed, until there is one central agency that assigns appraisals by lic # and area the tail will wag the dog :eyecrazy:
David,

The suggestion made suffers from a major contradiction and is based upon a false assumption.

Contradiction: Just accept it and go to sleep @ night with some integrity.

INTEGRITY - uncompromising adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

False Assumption: ....and the cold hard fact is that no one cares.

Although there may be a wide variation in the level of enforcement practiced by the state and territory regulatory agencies, the facts indicate each has meted out some kind of discipline to licensed and certified appraisers. Check out page 65 of the recently released GAO Report #GAO-03-404. Just because the discipline assessed is not immediate and appropriate in your mind is not an indication no one cares.

Always willing to listen to another point of view, but prefer to listen to an opinion with a basis in fact rather than feeling. The tail wags the dog only if you succumb.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks