• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What's The Deal With Water Heaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S is for spittman

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
This is the third FHA inspection in a row in the past two weeks where the properties are vacant and all the utilities are on except the water heater is off. This happens all the time even though I always notify the agent/seller before I come out that this is for FHA and I specifically need to check for hot water. They say "Oh sure, everything is good to go. We've just been waiting on you to call all week." [I just got the order yesterday]

Can anyone guess what the #1 response is after I send the report in "Subject-to" re-inspection of hot water heater?

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Next time send them an email with a check box list of what needs to be done before you arrive.

Electric on,
Gas on,
Water heater on,
all electrical appliances, electric on,
crawl space entrance cleared,
crawl space cleared of debris,
attic access available,
attic cleared of debris,

Tell them to use the check box list you emailed them. That will save both them and their clients time and money to have it all done right the first time.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
They forget that they turned it "off" or to "vacation" - or like the property I am trying to unload, they didn't tell us they were appraising it and apparently got a key from someone without even notifying me....the administrator of the estate. Not that I give a crap. They paid 10% down - non-refundable- and this was an absolute estate sale so if their lender expects us to "fix" anything or jump through hoops...read the contract buddy. This was an "as is" sale and we will keep your 10%. And by not contacting me, the appraiser ignores what I knew, like we used 15,000 gallons of water in an empty house...duh. That's why the water was "cut off".

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Thank you Terrel.

More reason why appraisers should speak to those involved in the transaction, and not run around like the Gods of value, refusing information from anyone who is not themselves.

miktay

Professional Status
State
Texas
Thank you Terrel.

More reason why appraisers should speak to those involved in the transaction, and not run around like the Gods of value, refusing information from anyone who is not themselves.

God of value... I like that!

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
New company name. Gods of Value! :ROFLMAO:

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
State
Florida
Can anyone guess what the #1 response is after I send the report in "Subject-to" re-inspection of hot water heater?
Why don't you go straight to the electric panel and turn it on when you arrive and then do the rest of your inspection? By the time you're done the water heater should have developed enough hot water to determine of its operating. Result, no re-inspection required. Even if it only works some of the time, it is that many less that you'll need to re-inspect.

A little common sense and forethought goes a long way to resolving issues.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Next time send them an email with a check box list of what needs to be done before you arrive.

Electric on,
Gas on,
Water heater on,
all electrical appliances, electric on,
crawl space entrance cleared,
crawl space cleared of debris,
attic access available,
attic cleared of debris,

Tell them to use the check box list you emailed them. That will save both them and their clients time and money to have it all done right the first time.

Um, no. I call and set up the appointment. At the time of the call I remind them it is an FHA report and all utilities need to be on. They are Realtors, professionals; they need to take care of their clients. Part of taking care of their clients is knowing what is required for an FHA loan.

miktay

Professional Status
State
Texas
Um, no. I call and set up the appointment. At the time of the call I remind them it is an FHA report and all utilities need to be on. They are Realtors, professionals; they need to take care of their clients. Part of taking care of their clients is knowing what is required for an FHA loan.

I completely agree, Howard K.
It is not our responsibility to pre-heat the water when we arrive.
My mind is on one thing when I am there. What is this place worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks