• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

When Exactly Does 2k Hours Of Training Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayak King

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
New Jersey
Hello all! First post!

I'm currently doing my 75 hours of classes to get my permit. My mentor is very helpful and has me riding along to observe. Is there anything I can do to start accruing my 2k hours BEFORE I get my permit such as taking pictures, taking measurements, or helping out with any paperwork or forms?

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Is there anything I can do to start accruing my 2k hours BEFORE I get my permit
If what you mean by "permit" is a trainee license, the answer is no. I am not aware of any states that allow the accumulation of experience credit prior to licensing as a trainee.

alex gilbert

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
If what you mean by "permit" is a trainee license, the answer is no. I am not aware of any states that allow the accumulation of experience credit prior to licensing as a trainee.

Actually, California allows unlicensed individuals to obtain experience hours by working with a certified appraiser, but only 400 of the required 2,000 hours can accumulated in this manner. These rules are state specific, so the OP needs to check with the New Jersey RE Board for their answer.

Last edited:

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Hopefully your class will cover state law. In MI we need to present a signed log of hours.

Kurt Kiefer

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
Actually, California allows unlicensed individuals to obtain experience hours by working with a certified appraiser, but only 400 of the required 2,000 hours can accumulated in this manner. These rules are state specific, so the OP needs to check with the New Jersey RE Board for their answer.
Is it still 2000 hours? I thought it changed to 2 years or 2000 hours, whichever is longer.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Last time I looked it was 2,000 hours, in no less than 2 years.

Whtwhale

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Pennsylvania
You MUST get your trainee license before you start logging hours. Laser focus on getting license ASAP. Couldn't tell you how many hours/months I lost for not getting that darn license...

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
You MUST get your trainee license before you start logging hours. Laser focus on getting license ASAP. Couldn't tell you how many hours/months I lost for not getting that darn license...
While that may be true where you are located, that is simply not true in every state. In fact, there is still a small number of states that do not license trainees and there are a few states that license trainees but do not make obtaining a trainee licensee mandatory and/or allow some experiences hours gained while not licensed as a trainee count.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Hey....
Our friends at the AQB have just changed everything effective May 1st if I remember correctly.
If your State goes along I think you may need only 1 year.
How this will affect # people in the business, and Fees.... Remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks