• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

When You Get Out Of This Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this reoccurring fantasy of getting out of this business and have played out different scenarios in my mind of how it might happen. The one I try not to think about is stroking out at my desk trying to comp an impossible property. The one I like the most is the image of my desk being stacked high with the biggest back-log you ever saw, tons of appraisals all overdue. The phone is ringing off the hook with screaming LO's, UWs, real estate agents, attorneys, buyers, and sellers. Their lock-in rates are about to expire and the feds are raising rates by 1% a week.........I calmly get up from my desk and unplug the office phones and fax machines.....and simply leave the office for the last time :lol:

Oh well, back to reality, my phone is ringing and the fax machine is out of paper.................. :eyecrazy:

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
I have fantasy of hitting the lottery call forwarding the office phone to my cell and taking a trip to mexico for about 3 months. When ever anyone calls for status simply say yep I am right on it and you will have it shortly (shortly after he** freezes over). Oh well guess it is nap time. :twisted:

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Sold the business to the other partners, and moved out of town into their vacation/lake home. That's how my father did it. Now he works part time, when he wants to, with me. Just enough to buy new golf and fishing toys. :mrgreen:

Maybe one day I can follow his lead. B)

P.S., I too know fellow appraiser's who stroked out at the desk. That's why I try not to get so worked up about work.

I have a dream of inventing some little gadget, and retiring to do nutin' play in my workshop. I've got a couple of ideas, just been so darn busy. Guess I need to get back into my workshop and let the phone ring.

Travis McGee

I want to start buying properties and renting them out. Want to retire on the rents or at least work part time in 5 years or so with some rental income comingin. Buying my first one now. Other option to study something else.

Tom Barclay

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Oregon
I will build 13 boats per year. That would leave me with about six months left to fish and work in the garden; and to avoid every high tech device ever made. No cell phones, faxes, computers, etc. Would still make $45M before my uncle takes his slice, and I can live on that. And no pressure, as long as they float when I'm done.

Dave Smith

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Three weeks ago last Monday I hit the wall. I called my wife and told her I was retiring. We have already listed the house and when it sells I will unplug the phone and fax, climb into my car and head for the deep woods of far northern Wisconsin - to "Happy Valley" where underwriters will not be allowed to roam.

Can we afford to do it? We think so! I do plan to go into an entirely different line of work after thirty years in the real estate business, the last eighteen as a very successful full time appraiser.

I feel so much better already. When "it's time, it's time."

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Dave:

I just got a brochure on "Beautiful Door County" in today's mail... I can see that they either have great photographers or it is a pretty place!

Since you have been talking up Door County for years, I have to believe that you are going to someplace even more beautiful and taking up a better quality of life. Good on you!

Best Regards,

Lee Ann
(hoping to do the same someday)

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Door County IS a beautiful place. After college I had a job that sent me up there about once a week for several years. Northern Wisconsin also has many great areas that are very different from Door County (i.e. fewer tourists)

Dave Smith

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Michael & Lee Ann:

Yup, its beautiful here but it has gotten too crowded with people that have an "attitude" for this country boy. We have to arrange our day around making left turns and beating the tourists to the grocery store in the morning and not going out to dinner because of the wait for a table is too long.
My wife is from northern Wisconsin but outside the major tourist areas so we can go there and get away from the crowds and the attitudes we are so tired of here. We have a very small second home there. It cost us only about one third of what it would cost here. However, we just bought a small undeveloped subdivision that is less than a mile from town but very private. We will use two or three of the lots for our new home and will sell the rest of the lots over time for retirement money. We got it at a bargain price so will come out really well on the investment.

My retirement plan will take some time to be completed but for a change I am excited about the future again. I'm having fun thinking about the new business I plan to develop. Bye, bye underwriters.

Life is good! Please take time to enjoy it!

PS: Today an underwriter required an addendum as to why I appraised a property for more than the sale price. I was sure tempted to say "The comps made me do it, stupid." But I kept my cool and explained the dynamics of the sale. We get hit if we come in low and today I got hit for coming in high. Oh, well, one of these days I can say Adiós to all the flack we get. I'm sure looking forward to that day. :p :p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks