• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

When You're Sick Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I tell my nine year old son that his first job is to "show up" to school (which he hates) and his chores, especially when he doesn't feel like it. That's the way I try to live, and I'll remind SWMBO that it's my first responsibility when something comes up she feels might be more convenient for me to attend to during business hours (like picking up the dry cleaning she needs for tonight).

I'm the boss, so why can't I make my own hours? Never mind MY bosses (clients) and the example it would set for the office (when the cat's away...).

But I have that cold with the cough that my son brought home (his revenge - seriously, he kissed me on the LIPS after a bad coughing fit and he NEVER does that) and am noticing that everything I'm doing will take some serious proofing before I can move forward on Monday. There is nothing I can do right now with any reliability, but the phone or e-mail might bring a frantic-Friday order (i.e. some of our best fees) and if I go home everybody will just want a piece of me or I'll get a jump on weekend chores.

I tell people that when they're stuck on something not to keep grinding on it - move around it and get something else done you have to do that you feel like doing... just keep moving. That's just not workin' for me right now.

So, how do you handle those occasional fits of unproductiveness - do you hang out at the office or lock the bedroom door and crawl under the sheets until the worst of it passes?

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
i just put in for sick time, but my boss never lets me off :)

Professional Status
State
Florida
A good percentage of appraisers work from home including me. I find when not feeling well to crawl on the over-sized couch in the afternoon with the dogs and take a nap while everyone else is still not home.
Awww that sounds good. You know, the answer to my question might be I need a big oversize couch in my office. I'd love to have dogs again but unlike my neighbors here I consider SE Florida summers inhumane to them. See yall Monday.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
When you're sick, you're sick

If you need to stay home (I work out of my house, too) then you need to "stay home"

The sad part for me has been the few times I've had to "call off" due to illness have been the times I've been busy. So rescheduling was a pain mostly b/c of reworking that property into the already full schedule. But when you're sick, you're sick. It's one of the (few in my book) drawbacks to running your own appraisal business

Hope you feel better Michael

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Jagermeister. :alcoholic:

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
The cure-all of Kings! :beer: :drinking: :dancefool:

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
It is what it is. If sick, tell your clients at your convenience if you can. I lost an aunt Friday of last week and lost most of the day Friday, all of the weekend when I normally **** around for a few hours each day and 1/2 day Monday for the funeral. All of the typical "update us requests" and "why is the report delayed after the inspection?" requests were par for the course. I told them the truth and that they could reassign if they so chose and every one simply extended the due date and "updated the client". The due date in most cases is an artificial date to create a need for expediency that the lender and their representatives have artificially created to make up for their wasting time on shopping fees etc... Not to mention that the most time sensitive of them all was new construction that wasn't complete yet...:shrug:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
When old you work sick because you are never really well. Drove to Little Rock (220 miles) Wednesday took class Thursday. Old hip and joint pain was a 2 Naproxen day. Then today is mower time. I'll finish by dark. More pain pills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks