• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Where Are The Reputable

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndegraff

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I really thought things would begin turning around a bit with this entire mortgage crisis but I am losing more work than ever before because I won't just hit the number - which I have never done, I have always given an honest quality appraisal thats how I was taught and what I have always done.
Just got off the phone with the owner of one of the appraisal companies I do work for and got a nice lecture because the report I sent in didn't hit the number.
Originally lender wanted a comp check before proceeding which again I don't do so I provided generic non specific closed sales and we moved on.
Now that the report is done and number is off by 10k and the lender can't make the deal I am basically getting lectured on how good this client is to this appraisal company and how they don't want to loose the money and work from the lender. I re-explained to the owner of the appraisal company what I can and can't do regarding comp checks based on USPAP and it really didn't seem to matter so I told them not to send me any more work from clients who they must have comp checks done for and the numbers hit and who are not really looking for an appraisal and I assume they are now looking for Skippy the appraiser to do the reports for them from now on.
I thought it was bad when the lenders gave us a hard time about the numbers and now it's even coming from our own... maybe it's time to seek other employment as this is getting nuts.... Lenders and owners of appraisal companies for that matter have plenty of places to go do comp checks on the web why should we be putting ourselves at risk and do it for them.
How nice it would be to just do your job without explaining why you did it right, I have no problem needing to explain if I do something wrong but why do you need to justify doing your job right....
I any of you guys want a quality report done that is honest in Forsyth, Davie, Davidson or Guilford Counties give me a shout.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
John,

I feel your pain. I do not work for mortgage brokers because I don't need the hassle. I don't do comp checks, and I don't hit numbers unless the data supports it and it just works out that way. I make about 40% less than I did 15 years ago when mortgage brokers were a little more ethical (but not much). I know of Appraisers who change subordinates reports and will ignore data, make up data and pull facts out of their butt in order to hit a number. But when all the feces hits the fan because of Skippy hitting numbers, and the roster of appraisers drops about 50% because of disciplinary actions, I'm going to sit back with a cold beer and a tray full of orders, and laugh my way to the bank, and a comfortable retirement. Stick to your guns: we will be delivered !

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
John, if you have a web site, I'll gladly add a link on my web site and refer to you any business I can. Email me with the information.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
John,

maybe you should check out the petition I am working on about this type of problem...see the thread about abolishing bank owned AMC's and other problems under improving the profession.

Or swing by appraisalunion.org

I feel your pain.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Perhaps a business name like My Way Appraisals would cull the crap for you.

junebug

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
John
Amen, Amen and Amen
I am to a point right now that I am going to have to make a decision how much longer I can afford to stay in business. The combination of lost business for being honest, and the lost business due to the mortage industry problems has given me my worst year in business, down by 60% from just last year. Not to mention that our expenses rise every year. I too keep telling myself that honesty will win in the end, and maybe given enough time things will change. But it seems that even in these bad times, the mortgage companies are still doing the same things that caused the problems to start with, so it's getting harder every day to keep the faith.
The entire appraisal community has gotten a black eye because of the dishonest, immoral and selfish actions of a few. The worst punishment that many of them will ever face is to have to take a course (doesn't even amount to a slap on the wrist), and most of them will never have to answer for their actions at all. I, for one will find another way to make a living before I will stoop to their level.

johndegraff

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Thanks to all

I was amazed at the number of people who have replied both private and here. Of course some people have had to make no sense responses but thats only to be expected and usually and most likely from the area Skippy. It's a pretty sad state when so many people are having the same pressures from not only lenders but from appraisal companies they work with. I am also amazed at the number of resumes that have been coming in the past few weeks from people looking for work. Some of these Appraisers are 10-20 years in the business and now sending out resumes just trying to make money. I have talked to a few of them and they are out of work for the same reasons, they want to do honest work. I really hope the new regulations do limit the number of appraisers entering the field and I for one am going to do as much as possible to hang on and wait for the numbers to even out and work to pick up. I am also open to people who do reputable honest work if you want to team up and promote each other and work to do so, I have already shared web site links with a few people from the site and have disussed reffering to others to help each other out.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
This should really help the profession. This new law in NC will make it HARDER to find and prosecute the offenders.

The Senator who introduced this bill had a direct connection with a revoked appraiser and the bill (now law) was a sour grapes action. The good Senator contacted the NCAB on her behalf in an effort to interceed with her revocation.

Nearly every law enforcement and regulatory agency relies on anonymous complaints which either have merit, or don't. Crime "Tip Lines" are nation wide and reward citizens for valid crime tips that are true and result in convictions. Complaints without merit are thrown in the trash.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2007/Bills/Senate/HTML/S1408v4.html

SECTION 1. G.S. 93E‑1‑12(a) reads as rewritten:

"(a) The Board may take disciplinary action against registered trainees and State‑licensed or State‑certified real estate appraisers. Upon its own motion or the complaint of any person, the Board may investigate the actions of any person registered as a trainee or licensed or certified as a real estate appraiser under this Chapter, any person who performs appraisals without an appropriate registration, license, or certificate, or any person who holds himself or herself out to be registered as a trainee or licensed or certified as a real estate appraiser when the person holds no registration, license, or certificate. Under no circumstances shall the Board investigate any person registered as a trainee or licensed or certified as a real estate appraiser under this Chapter upon an anonymous complaint. If the Board finds probable cause to believe that a person registered as a trainee or licensed or certified as a real estate appraiser under this Chapter has violated any of the provisions of this Chapter, the Board may hold a hearing on the allegations of misconduct.

Last edited:

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Good to see you back USPAP.:clapping:

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Can't ignore information.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2007/Bills/Senate/HTML/S1408v4.html

SECTION 1. G.S. 93E‑1‑12(a) reads as rewritten:

"(a) The Board may take disciplinary action against registered trainees and State‑licensed or State‑certified real estate appraisers. Upon its own motion or the complaint of any person, the Board may investigate the actions of any person registered as a trainee or licensed or certified as a real estate appraiser under this Chapter, any person who performs appraisals without an appropriate registration, license, or certificate, or any person who holds himself or herself out to be registered as a trainee or licensed or certified as a real estate appraiser when the person holds no registration, license, or certificate. Under no circumstances shall the Board investigate any person registered as a trainee or licensed or certified as a real estate appraiser under this Chapter upon an anonymous complaint. If the Board finds probable cause to believe that a person registered as a trainee or licensed or certified as a real estate appraiser under this Chapter has violated any of the provisions of this Chapter, the Board may hold a hearing on the allegations of misconduct.
One can only hope the board acts in the best interest of the public. With their stated policy:
All complaints must be in writing. No verbal complaints will be received or investigated. Anonymous complaints will not be opened. In addition, the Board may, on its own motion, decide to open a complaint.
the NCAB is free to open a complaint on their own accord anytime they desire. Although they cannot open a file on a verbal or anonymous complaint, if the board had information from any source they could open a complaint file as the board.

One can't file an anonymous complaint, but if a board member received an atrocious appraisal report in the mail, would they not be obligated to file a complaint themselves. :shrug: It is a stupid law, and somehow I doubt it's enforceability in court. Hopefully it will go away someday soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks