• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Where Do I Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam strahan

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
ok, i want to start the application process to do VA appraisals. where do i start? how do i start?

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Sam, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you a newbie or newly licensed? I believe that VA has a 5 year experience minimum to apply. Outside of that, I think the application is available on the HUD website. Good luck!!!

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
VA does have minimum experience requirements. I am not sure if those are national in nature or by region. In my region is it a minimum of 5 years. There could be exceptions if there is a shortage of appraisers in your area...rarely the case.

The application form is the same as for FHA and it can be obtained from the HUD website. If you are a minority or a veteran you can get preference points. A black female veteran would get put on much faster than a white anglo male with no military service. I would call the VA regional office that serves your area and see how many applicants would be ahead of you.

When I applied for the panel I had more than 5 years experience. I waited 7 years after that for my interview. A couple of recommendations.....do a professional package and include letters of recommendation from other appraisers (panel members), lenders (underwriters), and a couple of general letters like from your county assessor or public officials who are familiar with your work. Include work samples (full URARs, no 2055s). Update your application EVERY YEAR!

Lastly, a personal visit to the VA when you submit your application is also helpful. A neat clean professional appearance goes along way. I wish you well.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Kansas
1) Find out who is on the panel in your market
2) Watch the obituary page of the paper to see when one of them dies and there is a panel opening.

Pam Wyant

Professional Status
State
West Virginia
I have also been considering applying to VA. They actually have a shortage in our area and are soliciting for appraisers. I had a message on my machine a while back from the guy over our area.

However, I talked with another appraiser who applied, was accepted, and then shortly afterwards resigned. He said it was a real pain.

Any insight from any one on this? Is VA worse to deal with than doing an FHA appraisal?

BenLuby

Professional Status
State
Georgia
From the VA appraisers in our area, they make hemmeroids look like a massage. And they just put a three year appraiser on the panel?! VA Appraiser I know actually met her. Lots of experience in this area that should have been considered first. Of course, She got consideration because quota's are more important than quality, right? :eyecrazy:

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
Originally posted by Mike Garrett@ RAA,Aug 7 2003, 09:19 AM
If you are a minority or a veteran you can get preference points. A black female veteran would get put on much faster than a white anglo male with no military service.
Mike this isn't the first time you've said/implied this. Do you have a cite to prove this or are you talking out of the wrong hole again? After all, YOU SIR are on the panel and I would bet my manhood that there isn't a single "black female veteran" on your regional panel or any other.

In this thread Charlotte Dixon slapped down Darrell Hignite for making the same comment (he later edited his post to exclude the comment). I wonder if she still feels the same? Do you think she'll slap down a fellow VA appraiser?

Although I have no love for the clique that is the VA panel, I do not believe a spot is awarded on any merit or point system. The current system is completely arbitrary.

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
Oops, I forgot about Sam in my last post.

Sam here are a couple of good threads about the VA panel.

#1 Click here

#2 Click here

Did you notice in the second thread who is not on the panel?

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Uh Oh C,

I hate to tell you but.... if it is anything like the old FHA panel.. and we both know VA is still a clone of the old FHA, there are quotas to be filled...remember FHA's letter to the lenders apres lender-selection regarding using the services of minority appraisers..they monitor that stuff still....I don't know if they try to enforce it though...

It's a government agency...so Mike is technically correct.....it's the same reason a lot of guys put the business in their wife's name ...so they have a better chance of doing business with the government by having a minority owner...doesn't work for appraisers though because the appraiser has to inspect the property..no straw men allowed.

Just think of it as a closed government bidding system :rofl: :rofl: with preferences going to some to get on the bidding list.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks