• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Where would you start????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Where would you start? :?

I just got an assignment that is 15,000 sq. ft. of three story brick home that had been a school. Built in 1927 all brick. :wink:

The owner converted it to a home in the upper 75%. 8)

The remaining 25% on the lower level is his sale office and business for sewing machines. It has dual/zone heating and cooling systems. Sensor controlled lighting, heated floor tile in the master bedroom where the full size hot tub sits. You would not believe the master bath. Some where out of 5th century Rome. The gym and stage area has been made into a grand ballroom. All hardwood floors have been refinished and hand rub waxed. It is zoned R-3 and the business is permited as long as it is no more then the 25% use of the building/home.

Any idea where a person would start to look for comps.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Good grief Ray, do you have a knack for these off the wall school house appraisal? :lol:

I don't think I would do this on a URAR, and the fee ($,$$$) would be for a complex assignment.
Comps? 8O :?
I have used co-star comps before, but like other said, the data is questionable at best....... verify! http://www.appraisersforum.com/forums/view...opic.php?t=4783

Steve Owen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Missouri
Ray, I would start by thinking about the problem as a commercial entity with living quarters. Then you have to ask all the H&B and zoning questions. As far a comps go, consider contacting a few general appraisers who have experience in your area with unusual properties. It is at least possible that there may be no comps for this property within a reasonable time frame and distance. If that is true, then the sales comparison approach is not applicable and need not be used in a complete appraisal. There is no way I would consider doing this assignment in anything but a narrative format and would probably insist on self-contained reporting option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks