• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Where's The Floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Had to do an appraisal today of a typical 3/2 with enclosed garage. Problem was, 80% of the house was virtually non-accessible due to the STUFF. I mean, bags, boxes, clothes, old junk, etc, piled as much as 6' high. In the kitchen, it was taller than the counter top. Home had new appliances - obviously hadn't been used (couldn't get to them). Had to GUESS as to the condition of much of the floor coverings, etc. Home was clean, just very CLUTTERED.

I guess I'm going to have to make an extraordinary assumption that the floor coverings, etc in much of the home is similar to that which was all visible.

Roger

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Hey, I've got a matched comp. Or several. Do you need one in Azle, Haltom City, Fort Worth or Johnson County. It is to the point that nothing surprises me anymore. How can people live like this? When I inspected the one in Azle, it was listed for sale, on lock box and they had no desire to pick up anything. They had so many dirty dishes that the sink, counters all spilled onto the floor and was stacked except for one little path. I tried to find a bare place to step in the bedroom. There was no clear floor space because of the clothes littered across the room and into the bathroom. The shower was black and the clear shower door had not been clear for years. The 15 year old home had 30 years worth of clutter. I went back to my car and took several interior pictures. Then, I showed them to my kids and told them, "this is why I make you pick up your room and make your bed every day." I still have no idea how they got a contract on that home.

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
I have a GREAT cop for you in CT if you want it.....little ranch, the guy was an EBay hotshot, and specialized in books. He had them stacked up on top of echother, each pile was about 4 feet high, and there was a path through them weaving through the living room and 2 guest bedrooms which looked like a snake was walking through the piles, totally F*cked up......I looked under one of the piles, the carpet was a nice bright beighe, and the rest of the carpet was pretty dark in comparison......

Some of these houses we see, don't you ever wonder how the hell people live like they do??

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I had one similar too. I don't think it was quite as bad as all of yours but I just called the loan officer and told him what I saw and that I wouldn't touch this one. Found out he didn't believe the first appraiser so he ordered a second appraisal.

In mine the Den they actually used was cluttered and filthy but you could see the room. The Dining and living room were paths, had no idea what the walls looked like. I couldn't find them!

My favorite though, I wished I had taken my camera in, was the oven door was standing open and there was a large Rigid brand Tubing cutter laying on the open door next to Supper? Or breakfast or last weeks take out? I didn't stay long enough to find out.

Oh yea, the owner was bragging about the marble tile floor in the kitchen when I couldn't see the counter tops or the sink for the ..... stuff!

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
I had one last year, where one bedroom was stacked floor to ceiling with boxes of the ex-wife's stuff. I opened the bedroom door about six inches until it hit the first stack. I still haven't figured out how he filled the room and got the door closed so that you can't get back into the room. :eyecrazy:

Tom Barclay

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Oregon
My bad one was and old 704 drive by several years ago. Was a COD, went ahead and did the report, the exterior was new siding, windows, doors, and roof. When I finally got to the homeowner to collect, the place was full, with a capitol "F", with garbage. Rotten, stinking, smelly garbage. You had to step up from the front door about 12" onto the packed trash path, with the balance going up to the ceiling. The smell was awful, nearly knocked me over and I didn't even go inside. And I almost signed and delivered a report that it was worth $. Even with the assuption that the interior was in marketable condition. I questioned if the house could be saved, it was that bad. Serious mental health problem; at least that report would not come back to bite me. As I remember, I ate the fee on that one also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks