• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Which interior photos to include?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug in NC

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I occasionally get requests from non-regular clients requiring interior photos on mortgage finance assignments. Which pictures do you usually include and how many are typical/acceptable? I'm not talking about damage shots, just room pics. I typically provide pics of kitchen, dining, and living/family room. A broker recently told me to basically send a shot of every room! I don't mind doing it, but I would like to know upfront so that I can set my fees appropriately. She told me interior pics were required on a FHA job, and I told her I have been doing FHA for many years and have never once been asked for interior room pics.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
I have some client that require interior photos. So I don't forget I take the photos required by most demanding client in every house. It used to be LR, DR & Kitchen, but now one client wants LR, DR, Kit'n, 1BR, 1BA, and that is usually what I do, though sometimes I take 2 Baths instead of the BR because taking pictures of bedrooms really creeps me out.

The only time I've heard of requiring pictures of every room has been with foreclosure work. I do FHA as well and have not heard of any interior pic requirement, though I include them anyway.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Doug,

Your a Nationwide Top 5% RELO Appraiser. What works well for you in that specialty?

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Photos which mirror the sketch (including basement & garage)
Any Open Second Floor areas, FR, LR, Kit, Half Bath, Main Bath, Master Bath, MBR, FPLS/Wood Stoves, Whirlpool Tub, Unfin.Bsmt. Utility(mechanicals and sump if applicable), Fin.Bsmt Rec, if accessible/relevant both Attic, Interior Crawl Space. Fully support opinions on Functionality, Effective Age, Condition. Renovations & Deferred Maintenance Illustrated and described in comments.

Last edited:

Shane Trotta

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Kit / LR / Bath definitely. More if necessary.

Doug in NC

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Doug,

Your a Nationwide Top 5% RELO Appraiser. What works well for you in that specialty?

Relos have moved toward requiring a pic for every normal-sized room, except baths. At least relo cos are willing to pay for additional documentation, lenders continually want more for the same price they have been getting for the past 15-20 years.

Update:
A file I am working on right now requires LR/1BR/1BA. That's reasonable.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
kit pics

When doing kitchen pics be sure to show applainces- esp refridgerator (or lack of). Every area is different as to what appliances are typically left with the property and in the REO work they have been specifically asking for applainces in the photos. Beyond that - I be sure to include baths and any major upgrades.

Tony V

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
I aways include 2 fronts (angled), kitchen, living room, den/family room (inc. Fpl), bathrooms, Foyer (on larger homes) and pool/pool hse (if there), garage (det), heat plant and oil tank. While on the site I also take extra pixs inc. the A/C (central) units etc.

I normally will have at least one page of interiors (3 pix) and one page of extra pixs (4)..Some of the bigger jobs that I have done carry 3-4 extra pix pages...

HangInThere

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
I typically take dozens of photos for my files. In nearly every appraisal I include the living room, kitchen and bathroom photos. I will also include photos of any updates or improvements.
I retain in my files photos of every room, furnace electrical service, water heater etc... This does not cost anything more than a little space on my computer and gives me a piece of mind if any question should arise in the future.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Typical and functional.

I take pics of any room that influences the functional utility of the subject. All bedrooms, all major rooms, all baths, and the kitchen. Based on a a post from earlier, I will include the fridge in the shot of the kitchen from now on.

These don't always go into the report, but they stay on file in case someone wants to come back later and holler about coundition at time of inspection. For Pete's sake, it takes a total of about 3 minutes to photograph every single room, closet and whatever else--why not just do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks