• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Who Usually Trains A New Appraiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supertrucker

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Oklahoma
I was lurking the forum. I am in Oklahoma where I could possibly get a appraiser license with an Associates degree. Is there any work available? I would also like to know who trains trainees? Will I be limited with a non certified appraisers license? I may work on my bachelors degree in the future but I haven't gotten there yet.

My motivation is I have a full time job that doesn't pay enough, but I would like some part time work. Is this even possible?

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
You would need to find a certified appraiser willing and able to take on a trainee.
That needle might be in a haybale somewhere.
Your best bet is if you know someone in the biz.
If you have a salesman personality, RE agent might be better.

Ken Masla

Professional Status
General Public
State
California
I was lurking the forum. I am in Oklahoma where I could possibly get a appraiser license with an Associates degree. Is there any work available? I would also like to know who trains trainees? Will I be limited with a non certified appraisers license? I may work on my bachelors degree in the future but I haven't gotten there yet.

My motivation is I have a full time job that doesn't pay enough, but I would like some part time work. Is this even possible?

It is going to be tough to earn the trust of a potential supervisor.

Ask yourself what value you bring to a supervisor.

"ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country." kind of thing.

Before trainees were able to get clients and bring them into the supervisor's office, giving a supervisor an incentive to take you on, but with introduction of AMCs, it is kind of a closed loop. Try to see if there are large commercial appraisal or even residential offices hiring for assistant jobs, etc.

Good luck.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Just open an AMC and appraisers will flock to you.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
1. There is work for certified residential and certified generals with 5-years of experience.
2. Getting on as a trainee means knocking on doors and making phone calls. I think a lot of trainers of trainees are related by blood or marriage.
3. Go for a certified residential license.
4. I'd think part time isn't a good way to go or possible in most cases.
5. Beware that AMCs, FNMA, and FreddieMac have plans to by-pass appraisers. Your chances of starving in the future are just as likely as making a reasonable living.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York

Being a part-time trainee for the most part is not feasible, unless you have connections. For example, a family member or friend might allow such a situation, but most serious appraisal firms are not going to train someone on a part time basis. There are recordkeeping requirements for supervisors, If the firm does it correctly, you would be considered and treated as an employee which has all sorts of responsibilities that go along with that (taxes, possible benefits, etc.).

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately with our profession it takes at least 10 years (from day 1) before you are established and producing a regular income.

PT trainee work will take 4-5 years to get certified, another 5 years to gain experience to get clients.

Great PT job if you already are 'there'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks